• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    So basicaly there's an OS upgrade that:
    -Costs money;
    -Is proprietary;
    -But offers nothing NT 6.x doesn't offer, except a stupid Disney interface;
    -Needs expensive Braun's 70's industrial design computers (dear Apple, it's 2011, kthnxbye);
    -???

*YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN*

Can you please focus on FLOSS? And can you also leave out (non-Linux), proprietary software (which also includes Windows), except for benchmarks? 'K thanks....
    I can only second that, last time I heard this site had a pure Linux orientation. Quoting Wikipedia:

"Phoronix is a technology website that offers product reviews, Linux distribution screenshots, interviews, and news while maintaining a pure Linux orientation."

Maybe I should edit that paragraph to
    "Phoronix is a technology website that offers product reviews, screenshots, interviews, and news."

Wait, that sounds like any other technology website!

Comment

That doesn't mean that I don't use Windows periodically, or that I'm not interested in Mac development (hell, I always watch WWDC's, because I love the way that Apple presents problem solving and interesting little tricks and such), but I come here for great interest in Linux.

But I don't like Windows. I don't like, no I hate, Apple's products. I want all OS news simply because of certain different approaches in the field, but if that doesn't count tehcnology and only anounces a new product that scrap that.

However if I would read "Apple invents a revolutionary file system that changes the way people use computer entirely" then I would like that, because this could be implemented for Linux and in the end; my computer. Then that's about a new FS and not about Apple. But a simple product update... I couldn't care less.

Comment

-Needs expensive Braun's 70's industrial design computers (dear Apple, it's 2011, kthnxbye);
        do you have something against Dieter Rams or is this post sarcastic??

even thought i wouldn't touch an Apple product with a stick design is one of the things they do right (specially the HW)

Comment

So basicaly there's an OS upgrade that:
          -Costs money;
          -Is proprietary;
          -???

*YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW WWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN*

Can you please focus on FLOSS? And can you also leave out (non-Linux), proprietary software (which also includes Windows), except for benchmarks? 'K thanks....
          Why not? Isn't it a chance to demonstrate Linux "superiority" (again)?

Comment

Urm.

Airdrop uses WiFi!
            It doesn't use magic!

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
              do you have something against Dieter Rams or is this post sarcastic??
              It's unoriginal, doesn't push any boundaries in industrial design and while the plactic laptops were pretty OK actually, everything else look horrible IMHO.

The newest MacBooks look like unfinished bricks. The black edge around the screen was actually OK but now that it's grey... *ulgh*

http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-brau...-apples-future.

I did screw up the date by ten years; it's actualy the 60's...

Comment

It's unoriginal, doesn't push any boundaries in industrial design and while the plactic laptops were pretty OK actually, everything else look horrible IMHO.

The newest MacBooks look like unfinished bricks. The black edge around the screen was actually OK but now that it's grey... *ulgh*

http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-brau...-apples-future.

I did screw up the date by ten years; it's actualy the 60's...
                Personally i think there isn't much to push in laptop design with the current technology and have something that will be affordable and easy to sell to the consumer -something that will not scare them with a lot of tech-. After all it has to look like a laptop.

As for the styling i am a fan of minimalism and find apple products really well designed. Not innovative but at least they are aesthetically pleasing compared to the stuff made by the majority of PC manufacturers.

Comment

Apple will probably trademark Launchpad and sue Canonical for using it, even though Canonical has been using it for 5+ years beforehand. And Apple will win because they have more money to throw at lawyers than Canonical.

Bring on the Canonical StartingPlace.net, the renamed LaunchPad...

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    Is there any official statement that OpenGL has been upgraded to version 3.2 in Lion?
                    As I told you before there is 3.2 support and the documentation has now been released.

Beginning in Mac OS X v10.6, support was added for OpenGL 2.1, which has many new extensions for added functionality. Mac OS X v10.7 added support for Open GL 3.2 Core, which added more extensions as baseline features. The newest version of OpenGL deprecates routines and mechanisms found in OpenGL 1.n and OpenGL 2.n, including the removal of the fixed-function pipeline that was the main approach to developing OpenGL 1.n applications. An OpenGL 3.2 application requires you to create your own shader strategy rather than assuming that a standard graphics pipeline will do everything. As a result, for simple applications you need to write more boilerplate code than was required by previous versions of OpenGL.
                    http://developer.apple.com/library/m...001987-CH3-SW1

Oh ye of little faith...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      It's "releases", not "unleashes". No wait... Ah, now I get it. It's one of your usual "wow!" article titles that backfire all the time and make everyone roll their eyes instead of actually going "wow!"

Wow!
                      Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      It's impossible to not copy&paste titles that suggest absolute endorsement and/or Apple affiliation?
                      Petty grievance, much? Ditto the neckbeards complaining about Phoronix, le gasp, mentioning the release of another OS!

Edit: so as for my original reason for entering this thread, perhaps I'm dumb but how do you do a fresh install, if the only way to obtain OSX is now through the app store?
                      Last edited by etnlWings; 20 July 2011, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X