How I got involved with an open-source project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How I got involved with an open-source project

Hi guys, I'd like to share a story with you in the hope that it will encourage at least one person to join a project and help out.

Many months ago, I was idling in the flashrom channel when I asked "hi, I'd like to help- but I'm not really a programmer" (which I'm glad I didn't think too much about it at the time), and the project lead popped up and came up with an idea. The idea involved collecting data from lots of datasheets representing the chips supported, which would be rather valuable, but no one had the time to do such a project. Not being an engineer of any kind, I'd never read a datasheet in my life, and so had no clue how to do so. Luckily, the people there were quite willing to walk me thru the basics of reading a datasheet by actually doing one or two.

I then populated a spreadsheet with all the desired infomation over several months, and sent it out. Folks were happy with it, and even floated some ideas on how it could be turned into a patch. I wasn't worried about that- I'd done the hard part of collecting the information, and someone else would take my info and turn it into a patch.

Several months passed by, and nothing happened. I took another look at the email with the ideas on how to turn it into a patch, and figured "maybe I can actually do this", and so set about creating such a patch.

After some reviews & multiple versions, I finally had a patch ready to be committed, and once it did get committed, it felt great.
Working...
X