Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Phoronix Guide To Oktoberfest 2011

Phoronix: The Phoronix Guide To Oktoberfest 2011

There's just over 60 days remaining until the 2011 Oktoberfest gets underway in Munich, but here's the official Phoronix guide for any readers that are still contemplating a visit to this annual Bavarian festival where the yearly "PhoronixFest" meet-up takes place. Contrary to the popular American belief, the "real" Oktoberfest in Munich is much more than just being a festival about beer and is well worth visiting.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Oktoberfest gets worse every year, people from munich are the biggest Sauprei?n anyways, but it just gets worse - more arrogant, funky people, destroying the original view on M?nchner - you can see this on the musical "hits" Michael mentioned, none of them really traditional bavarian like "A toter Fisch im Wasser" for example.

Most munichs I know dont go the the Oktoberfest anymore because they dont feel at home, it was much better 10-15 years ago. Now its some kind of multi-international Springbreak or something, if you really want to get to know the original bavarian Fest tradition go the some other smaller "Bierfest" in the wide area around munich. (Not the Rosenheimer Herbstfest, each year it gets more like the Oktoberfest, but not as bad yet).

Not to speak of the cost explosion, wth?
    Steigt der Bierpreis nur ein Jahr nicht, schäumte der Münchner vor Freude schier über. Das ist aber leider sehr selten der Fall, wie unsere große Bierpreisstatistik zeigt.

The true bavarian
    Last edited by AnonymousCoward; 16 July 2011, 08:29 AM.

Comment

I can't understand your obsession with the Oktoberfest either. As AnonymousCoward already wrote, it has mainly become a tourist attraction.

A Bierfest I find well worth visiting is the "Erlanger Bergkirchweih". It is the oldest Bierfest of the world and not yet overrun by tourists: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+bergkirchweih

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
        I can't understand your obsession with the Oktoberfest either. As AnonymousCoward already wrote, it has mainly become a tourist attraction.
        obviously Michael IS a tourist

And frankly there is nothing wrong with having a world class event in your area. It provides extra money for the people around it.

Comment

A Bierfest I find well worth visiting is the "Erlanger Bergkirchweih". It is the oldest Bierfest of the world and not yet overrun by tourists: http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+bergkirchweih
          I'll checkout Erlanger Bergkirchweih next year, thanks!

I also like Starkbierfest, Fr?hlingsfest, Silvester, and just about any other festival over there :P
          Michael Larabel
          https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            obviously Michael IS a tourist
            He is more like a regular. What I ment with tourist is a one time visitor.

And frankly there is nothing wrong with having a world class event in your area. It provides extra money for the people around it.
            I don't have a problem with the Oktoberfest, it's just that I can't understand Michael's obsession (writing Oktoberfest articles in July) with it. There are far better ones out there in Germany, maybe he should do a Bierfest-Tour to broaden his horizen :-)

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
              The Oktoberfest gets worse every year, people from munich are the biggest Sauprei?n anyways, but it just gets worse - more arrogant, funky people, destroying the original view on M?nchner - you can see this on the musical "hits" Michael mentioned, none of them really traditional bavarian like "A toter Fisch im Wasser" for example.
              Yes that part is unfortunate with more tourists going, but at least those people tend to go to Hacker, Hippodrom, etc. My area of the Augustiner tent tends not to be too bad except for the weekend when all Italians go to the wiesn, but usually it's ~70% locals and lots of my own contacts.
              Michael Larabel

Comment

it's just that I can't understand Michael's obsession (writing Oktoberfest articles in July) with it. There are far better ones out there in Germany, maybe he should do a Bierfest-Tour to broaden his horizen :-)
                FTA:

Oktoberfest is the perfect holiday and magical utopia to relax and rejuvenate from an otherwise 60~80+ hour work week the rest of the year.
                So being burned out of working so much, then day-after-day of Bavarian beer, Bavarian food, Bavarian girl, less work... It's great.

I am up for any other Bavarian festivals too, see the ones I mentioned above. I'm always up for more, but base it upon whenever any of my local contacts tell me about any and it fits into my schedule / there is something else also going on in the general part of Europe near that time too.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  10 L Beer per Day thats sounds like a benchmark of the kidneys and lifer.
                  Phoronix Test Suite test profile coming up!

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                  and hey a little German language Guide: (Du Geile Sau) in English is : You in rut female pig who need sex

word by word translate: You/Du rut/Geile female-pig/Sau

now you know the german secret in germany its ok so saying you rut pig to a woman and this woman think you make a compliment

thats because in german "Du Geile Sau" also means "you are very wonderful"

thats the best at the german language you can make a compliment by being obscene !
                  I'm well aware
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

@Michael

if you want to taste real beer go to a festival in Belgium :trollface:

Comment

Working...
                    X