Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compiz 0.9.5 Has Arrived

Phoronix: Compiz 0.9.5 Has Arrived

Sam Spilsbury has just tagged Compiz 0.9.5 for release as the latest development milestone for this compositing window manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmm stability or lack of?... Previews of minimised windows on other virtual desktops... Oh whoops forgot I already had this with Kwin (FTW)...

Comment

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
      Hmm stability or lack of?... Previews of minimised windows on other virtual desktops... Oh whoops forgot I already had this with Kwin (FTW)...
      kwin is integrated with kde, so it's bound to have special features like that. altho kwin is overall stable, compiz is far superior in terms of features and customization. i haven't used compiz in nearly 3 years but it was good then and i'm sure it's better now.

Comment

Kwin is only good if you like KDE ~ while i think KDE is decent, i also think that the K desktop is bloatware. ( i actually won't install a single KDE app on my systems, because of this )..

compiz is fairly stable these days, and runs with a variety of desktops, including gnome, e17, awesome, kde, etc... in the end i think Compiz is much more flexible, and is much more customizable. It's also the closest that the Linux Desktop has to a 'standard' for compositing. (being as most desktops can use it) Although i am not a Ubuntu user - i am happy to see Canonical pump some money and energy into the project. it would be a sad Linux Desktop experience if i could only use kwin or Mutter.

especially since Kwin is essentially a compiz clone and mutter is nothing to write home about.

Comment

Originally posted by ninez View Post
          Kwin is only good if you like KDE ~ while i think KDE is decent, i also think that the K desktop is bloatware. ( i actually won't install a single KDE app on my systems, because of this )..
          Why do you think it is bloatware?

Any numbers to back it up?

Comment

Compiz is more universal than kwin and works fine in KDE, but for KDE users kwin is probably the best option. It's integration is superior, it has many fine features and for many people it's fast. Try installing some gnome app in KDE, so you'll see what bloatware is. However, it's hard to imagine KDE and Gnome using the same dependencies.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              i haven't used compiz in nearly 3 years but it was good then and i'm sure it's better now.
              Informed comment then!

I've tried both the newest Kwin and Compiz 0.9.4. Compiz may offer more effects but with my ATI HD4xxxM card it's totally unstable. Kwin may have slower effects - but at least they work (minimised window previews is still not fully supported in Compiz 0.9.4)! What is the use of window previews when they don't work for windows on different desktops... I don't want wobbly windows, window animations, etc. - I just want the useful stuff!

Don't get me wrong. I'm no fanboi for KDE (all the themes look the same). I always use AWN+Gnomenu (in both my Gnome & KDE desktops). Would just like to see Compiz reach a functional parity...

For someone interested in developing C/C++ applications the Qt libraries have to get my vote (excellent standard IDE, documentation and extensive C++ libraries and advantages of - strict type checking, polymorphism, etc.). I've still got to investigate the Gtk 3.xx stuff - hope it's a lot better than the Gtk 2.xx libraries (no standard IDE, written in standard C without the C++ type/argument checking advantages).

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                Compiz is more universal than kwin and works fine in KDE, but for KDE users kwin is probably the best option. It's integration is superior, it has many fine features and for many people it's fast. Try installing some gnome app in KDE, so you'll see what bloatware is. However, it's hard to imagine KDE and Gnome using the same dependencies.
                i agree on Kwin being the way to go for KDE for sure. i was more pointing out that compiz runs everywhere, you can even use it as standalone.

about bloat gnome vs. kde ~ it'd still have to disagree. whenever i have run KDE (4.6 the last time), there is double the processes running, and significantly more memory in use on average. I like some of the KDE apps, but they are all so integrated into KDE that unless you plan on using KDE, they seem pointless to install ~ unless you want to be running (essentially 2 DEs at the same time), but obviously there are exceptions suh as Kdenlive... and aside from core gnome-apps most of the apps i use are GTK , and don't have much dependencies to gnome, necessarily (ie: GTK doesn't = gnome)
                Last edited by ninez; 14 July 2011, 06:04 PM.

Comment

i agree on Kwin being the way to go for KDE for sure. i was more pointing out that compiz runs everywhere, you can even use it as standalone.

about bloat gnome vs. kde ~ it'd still have to disagree. whenever i have run KDE (4.6 the last time), there is double the processes running, and significantly more memory in use on average. ...
                  Hmmm. Like I said I was definitely only complaining about Compiz stability!

A recent experiment to run KDE on my flatmates desktop machine sent the graphics card (a bog standard 6200 LE type thing) into thermal meltdown. I turned off all KWin desktop effects. Kwin continued to give some minor screen artifacts and melt down the graphics card...

Comment

Hmmm. Like I said I was definitely only complaining about Compiz stability!

A recent experiment to run KDE on my flatmates desktop machine sent the graphics card (a bog standard 6200 LE type thing) into thermal meltdown. I turned off all KWin desktop effects. Kwin continued to give some minor screen artifacts and melt down the graphics card...
                    ouch, that doesn't sound good.

well, certain plugins in compiz (sometimes in combination) can cause instability. but i know on both my machines, compiz is quite stable. So, i think you have to choose plugins wisely. but much like any compositing DE in linux, the odd card/driver just doesn't work that well. - I think this is true of compiz, kwin and gnome shell/mutter. (in fact, i know it is, from using forums).

i hear about bugs in compiz, like windows disappearing and such. but i never seem to be affected by them.

i did have compiz break maybe a month ago, but it was from a bad commit (that was accidental). One of the issues with compiz though, is obviously because there is so many plugins and settings, it is possible to make it very unstable or exhibit *undesired* behaviors. but i think once you know that and set it up the way you like it. those problems go away (unless it's a hardware problem).

i think over the next year, compiz will become much more stable, now that unit tests are in place.. smspillaz, and the other developers are putting a lot of energy into fixing long standing problems in compiz, like not being able to test and debug it easily. which i think have probably plagued it's development.
                    Last edited by ninez; 15 July 2011, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X