A Status Update On GNU Hurd: Java, Debian, Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the necro.

Besides, I won't use Hurd until it runs Mono and C#. Without Mono, my favourite applications won't run so it's useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
      Well, "too much time wasted" is in the eye of the beholder. Someone running a massively multithreaded server workload might care whether a syscall takes 100 microseconds vs. 200 microseconds, but most users wouldn't be able to tell the difference if their lives depended on it.
      With minix the difference is not two, but 140 times, so even phlegmatic will notice the difference. Most users also care about things like copying time etc. Hurd is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
        Congrats on the necro.

Besides, I won't use Hurd until it runs Mono and C#. Without Mono, my favourite applications won't run so it's useless.
        Sir, you know taste in perversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibidem View Post
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xpra
          I think that's what you missed.
          Don't have many issues with graphics drivers here...
          Just about any core Windows library, service, or kernel update takes a reboot; with Linux, libraries just mean running ldconfig (which dpkg/apt/... run automatically), and services are just "service xyz restart".
          The kernel still takes a reboot, unless you know what you're doing (hint: ksplice)
          The "interesting updates"--that would be like Windows Vista -> Seven.
          You're confusing Canonical's representation of reality with how Linux actually works.
          Tshh, don?t wake the latent windows troll.

Comment

Working...
          X