Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D Pipe-Video To Be Merged To Mesa Master

Phoronix: Gallium3D Pipe-Video To Be Merged To Mesa Master

The next release of Mesa, which will be released as either Mesa 7.12 or Mesa 8.0 (assuming OpenGL 3.0 compliance) next January, is already beginning to receive some exciting features. Mesa 7.11 isn't being released until the end of this month, but the changes taking place in Git master are quite enticing for those wishing to live on the bleeding-edge of open-source Linux graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"bleeding-edge" has made me scarred, not for life, but for enough to avoid the shiniest shiny new stuff. Today I wait at least a two days before I touch the latest and greatest, not two hours as I used to.

Comment

Will there be...

article how to install newes mesa, drm, drivers, whatever to get newes from code repo driver stack?

I would like to test newest opensource drivers, but they lack power managment for me right this moment, but I do not mind to set up new linux instance just to test this new graphic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        article how to install newes mesa, drm, drivers, whatever to get newes from code repo driver stack?

I would like to test newest opensource drivers, but they lack power managment for me right this moment, but I do not mind to set up new linux instance just to test this new graphic stuff.
        This is dependent on your distro. Ubuntu has the xorg-edgers ppa and I'm sure other distros have already packaged mesa/3D stuff available. I use Debian and pull directly from git, so let me know if you want help with that.

Comment

Originally posted by sabriah View Post
          "bleeding-edge" has made me scarred, not for life, but for enough to avoid the shiniest shiny new stuff. Today I wait at least a two days before I touch the latest and greatest, not two hours as I used to.
          Two days? You better wait for the monthly 4.7.x bugfix point releases.

Comment

But more important is:
            Do the videos play without tearing? That's actually quite a big problem for many people. I use catalyst on my laptop and I see this problem extremely with dualscreen. The tear-free feature kind of works but introduces something like micro-laggs into the videos.
            I know this is hard especially to sync with two screens but if there is finally some magic to make it work this would be a killer feature.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              You really don't need an article for this. Just make sure you use a distro with up to date components (ddx, drm, kernel) and after cloning from git it's a simple matter of autogen, configure and make.

Be sure to install the drivers in a non-system wide prefix and use environment variables to run the experimental stuff. Then there's no risk of screwing something up.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                But more important is:
                Do the videos play without tearing? That's actually quite a big problem for many people. I use catalyst on my laptop and I see this problem extremely with dualscreen. The tear-free feature kind of works but introduces something like micro-laggs into the videos.
                I know this is hard especially to sync with two screens but if there is finally some magic to make it work this would be a killer feature.
                "finally" ? probably, for about half a year the feature is there.
                i'm using r600g on RV770CE(4730) with dual-screen (real dual-screen, not xrandr/xinerama bullshit) and there is no tearing or lag whatsoever.

mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-ati from git, kernel is 2.6.39. but i pretty sure there are bunch of releases with that. so, stop asking already ! it's only a problem for half-baked binary crap.

Comment

"xrandr bullshit"?

Comment

yeah, xrandr IS real dual screen.
                    Can't get any better than that...

I think the OP just confused xinerama and xrandr?

Well, I have a E350 machine that would welcome this!
                    So, waiting to test it soon!

Comment

Working...
                    X