Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 2 Brings Thunderbird, LightDM

Phoronix: Ubuntu 11.10 Alpha 2 Brings Thunderbird, LightDM

Canonical has announced the release of Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Oncelot" Alpha 2 this morning...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good riddance to Evolution, what a cumbersome, convoluted, buggy mess that is. I remember several years ago trying to apt-get remove Evolution and being horrified by the obnoxiously massive plethora of dependencies it would have removed. That monstrosity has it's black tentacles in just about everything.

Comment

Is everything in this version Ubuntu compiled with GCC 4.6.1?

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
        Good riddance to Evolution, what a cumbersome, convoluted, buggy mess that is. I remember several years ago trying to apt-get remove Evolution and being horrified by the obnoxiously massive plethora of dependencies it would have removed.
        Yeah, it used to want to take the whole gnome desktop with it when someone tried to kill it. This should have been done years ago. It's not that Thunderbird is the perfect email client, but compared to Evolution it's the god of email clients. Still, I think that Evolution manages to be better than KMail which is even more awkward and featureless. Most of Evolution's (and KMail's) problems are already reported in the form of bug reports and wishes on the bug trackers but the developers simply don't care. Here's what they won with that attitude.

Comment

Originally posted by sirdilznik View Post
          Good riddance to Evolution, what a cumbersome, convoluted, buggy mess that is. I remember several years ago trying to apt-get remove Evolution and being horrified by the obnoxiously massive plethora of dependencies it would have removed. That monstrosity has it's black tentacles in just about everything.
          Originally posted by devius View Post
          Yeah, it used to want to take the whole gnome desktop with it when someone tried to kill it.
          I'd suggest you guys keep it to the facts instead of spreading FUD...

It has always been possible to remove Evolution itself. Evolution Data Server is used by the calendar widget in the panel (and some other tools & applications, but I think that's the only one installed by default?). And that dependency is not Evolutions fault of course, it's the widget that depends on E-D-S, not the other way around.

Evolution Data Server is not Evolution, it's a daemon originally designed together with Evolution, but intended to be used by other applications too. And I don't see why having a central storage for calendars, addressbook, etc. to be shared by all applications is bad, quite the contrary.

Oh, and I wish Thunderbird would fix some of the 10 year old bugs that prevent me from using it for serious... (but I guess different people use different parts of a mail client ).

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
            I'd suggest you guys keep it to the facts instead of spreading FUD...

Oh, and I wish Thunderbird would fix some of the 10 year old bugs that prevent me from using it for serious... (but I guess different people use different parts of a mail client ).
            Seems like a contradiction. Besides Evolution has more of those then Thunderbird...

Comment

@MaestroMaus: the bugs I'm referring to are related to editing and converting mails to plain text, and mailing list support, a.o.t. I'm sure the first one still exists, as I still often get mails from people who use Thunderbird (or Mozilla Mail, or another derivate) which exhibit the results of those editor widget bugs. I know the later one can be worked around somewhat with an extension (so consider that semi-fixed now).

And like I wrote: "but I guess different people use different parts of a mail client " (the wink was there for a reason). I am very well aware Evolution has bugs, I'm just saying they affect me less than the ones in Thunderbird do. And the Evolution bugs they mention never existed and/or aren't bugs in Evolution's but in other applications (e.g. the GNOME panel should not have a hard dependency on E-D-S probably).

Comment

Working...
              X