32-bit vs. 64-bit Benchmarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athlon64X2 64bit or Core2Duo 32bit ??

Hi guys, I want to buy a new PC but I have a doubt in buying AMD and to go with a 64bit distro or Intel and stick with 32bit...
    I know that Core2Duo beats Athlon64X2, but is this the same if the second uses 64bit?
    I am obviously talking about same price level, for example
    E6400 vs 4600+ or E6600 vs 5000+

I have not found any benchmark around of this kind...

Thanks in advance
    Davide

Comment

Both Intel and AMD have great processors, but whether you use a 32-bit or 64-bit distribution, the Intel Core 2 Duo will likely take the lead. What exactly will you be using this system for?
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Both Intel and AMD have great processors, but whether you use a 32-bit or 64-bit distribution, the Intel Core 2 Duo will likely take the lead. What exactly will you be using this system for?
        Normal desktop use, plus some gaming, movie transcoding, and development. So the Core2duo is definitely the best buy, even under a 64bit environment?

Comment

Of course it is. The Core 2 Duo's are some of the best CPU's Intel has ever released. Just read the online reviews, even AMD-biased websites have acknowledged that Intel has the performance crown for now.

Comment

Not counting my first two computers (an Apple II GS and then some Intel box), I've bought AMD chips for my computers every time I've had the opportunity. Given that, I'll admit that everything I've read points to Intel having the leading chip at this point with its Core 2 Duo. At the same time, the processor market is like a pendulum: this quarter Intel is the favorite while AMD was the favorite for a long time a little while back. I would look at the online support you find specific to the motherboards supporting the different chips and the communities like Phoronix to see what works best for you. If you find a group that seems to have lots of answers to questions you have and they are all running systems based on a specific hardware, then it may pay off to go with something similar to what they are running if this is one of your first systems to build.

Comment

Originally posted by davidecapod View Post
              Normal desktop use, plus some gaming, movie transcoding, and development. So the Core2duo is definitely the best buy, even under a 64bit environment?
              Yes.
              Synergy6

Comment

Working...
              X