Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Makes The Source SDK Free Of Charge

Phoronix: Valve Makes The Source SDK Free Of Charge

Valve Software has announced they'll be making the Source Engine's Software Development Kit (SDK) available free of charge to the community and their gaming customers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

this is great

Comment

I'm 99.9% sure this has always been "free" with purchase of any source based game.

Comment

i do not understand why it is a news . the engine is old and rubbish , there is unreal engine largely up to date with PhysX and free
        valve is like idsoftware . they did big hit many years ago and they still believe on their own that they are kings and masters of games while their products are old'n'crappy [ especially valve but idsoftware was sold ...]

Comment

Originally posted by jcgeny View Post
          i do not understand why it is a news . the engine is old and rubbish , there is unreal engine largely up to date with PhysX and free
          valve is like idsoftware . they did big hit many years ago and they still believe on their own that they are kings and masters of games while their products are old'n'crappy [ especially valve but idsoftware was sold ...]
          Yeah, Portal 2 was totally crap. Right.

Ontopic: Valve is the #1 in the game industry and I can't see this changing anytime soon.

Comment

Forget about the Source SDK.

It's an old, awful, unmaintained pain in the neck. A shitload of dirty hacks in a gigantic blob of C++.
            Not that I have anything against C++. But hell. They don't make it look cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Armurier View Post
              It's an old, awful, unmaintained pain in the neck. A shitload of dirty hacks in a gigantic blob of C++.
              And you know this how? You have access to the engine source code? Are you competant enough in both 3D engine design and C++ to make an informed comment? If so, I'd like to know more about your sophistaced, ground-breaking 3D engine projects.

If not, well, that means you are just a good old troll.

Comment

And this is Phoronix-worthy news how? I generally tolerate the Source-on-Linux digs, but this is just ridiculous. In fact, I don't even believe there's a Mac version of the SDK available yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Wyatt View Post
                  And this is Phoronix-worthy news how? I generally tolerate the Source-on-Linux digs, but this is just ridiculous. In fact, I don't even believe there's a Mac version of the SDK available yet...
                  Phoronix is not a Linux news site. It's a tabloid where vaguely-Linux-related pieces can get published as long as they include lots of click/revenue generating keywords (like "steam on linux omg omg omg!"), disgusting-and-completely-unrelated self links and sensationalist headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
                    And you know this how? You have access to the engine source code? Are you competant enough in both 3D engine design and C++ to make an informed comment? If so, I'd like to know more about your sophistaced, ground-breaking 3D engine projects.

If not, well, that means you are just a good old troll.
                    It is.
                    Oh, I forgot : it's so undocumented, I truly wish good luck to those who will unevitably want to develop their mod.

Comment

Working...
                    X