Mesa's OpenGL 3.0 TODO List Is Becoming Smaller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    and float-depth buffers: now done. Thanks Marek. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/009085.html

At this rate, maybe we should be shooting for GL 3.1 for the next release.
    I think this just made me cum a little bit...

Thanks for the list and the sum-up! I agree with previous commenters, the leap from 2.1 -> 3.0 is huge in comparison to 3.0 -> 3.3. Even the step to 4.1 isn't as big I guess.

I do hope that the maintenance of the fixed pipeline doesn't drag down the momentum of working with the newer and leaner OpenGL.

Comment

All it took was more patents to stop caring about them; as mr. Bridgman showed, there is now even a patent for your lungs.

So I'm assuming that none of this will work, unless your distro vendor has a patent license, or you recompile it yourself with '-middlefingerToPatentTrolls:1', or something?

So if one wanted to be a total treehugger, what functionality would they miss? Texture compression and HW-float? Or much more?

Also; when is somebody going to patent HW-double as an invention, to be able to fully support the float without getting patent trolled?

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        AMD and Nvidia got their hands on OpenGL 3, much earlier then whole world, so it is pretty obvious that they got time to take leap ahead of mesa.

So is anyone from mesa in arb? To get preview on whats big next thing in OpenGL?
        Ian Romanick is described as "Intel?s lead representative to Khronos":

Comment

There's an almost complete implementation of GL_ARB_debug_output available, which should be part of 4.1, doesn't seem to be listed in docs/GL3.txt though:

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
            Ian Romanick is described as "Intel?s lead representative to Khronos":
            http://software.intel.com/sites/oss/...d_romanick.php
            Doesn't VMWare own Khronos? And they are big contributers to Mesa.

I don't think getting the upcoming specs fast enough is a problem. The problem was that for years Linux graphics languished and got way behind. When GL3 and 4 came out, AMD and Nvidia just had to tweak a few of the extensions they already had working. Mesa had to start laying the groundwork to support future work enabling them.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Doesn't VMWare own Khronos? And they are big contributers to Mesa.
              No, nobody owns Khronos.

Comment

Working...
              X