Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa's OpenGL 3.0 TODO List Is Becoming Smaller

Phoronix: Mesa's OpenGL 3.0 TODO List Is Becoming Smaller

Via a commit to the TODO list concerning Mesa's support for the OpenGL 3.0 specification, Marek Ol??k has confirmed that vertex texture image units for OGL3 are "DONE" and working on the R600 Gallium3D driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Beyond OpenGL 3.0, there's already 3.1/3.2/3.3 and even OpenGL 4.0/4.1 to additionally address.
    Yes, but OpenGL 3.0 bridged decades of neglect and decay, while everything after that added relatively minor functionality. I don't think that it compares to the huge leap that is/was needed to bring GL 3.

OpenGL 3 will be the major milestone for Mesa. I can't wait.

Comment

The only items for attaining OpenGL 3.0 support that haven't been worked on at all are the float-depth buffers and depth format cube textures.
      and float-depth buffers: now done. Thanks Marek. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...ne/009085.html

At this rate, maybe we should be shooting for GL 3.1 for the next release.

Comment

Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
        Yes, but OpenGL 3.0 bridged decades of neglect and decay, while everything after that added relatively minor functionality. I don't think that it compares to the huge leap that is/was needed to bring GL 3.

OpenGL 3 will be the major milestone for Mesa. I can't wait.
        Yep. 3.0 to 3.3 would be easier than the to do list that's left for 3.0. 4.0 can rot for 3 years before anybody notices.

Comment

Call me a pessimist, but I don't see 3.3 or even 3.1 coming with the next release. The wiki describes each of GLSL 1.40 and GLSL 1.50 as "piles and piles of work" that will take "months", and doing a release takes some time even when the bulk of it is "done". Anyway, I'd be plenty happy to see GL 3 support solidify in time for the next round of spring/summer distro releases (I'm assuming that it will likely arrive too late for the fall/winter ones)

Comment

Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
            Call me a pessimist, but I don't see 3.3 or even 3.1 coming with the next release. The wiki describes each of GLSL 1.40 and GLSL 1.50 as "piles and piles of work" that will take "months", and doing a release takes some time even when the bulk of it is "done". Anyway, I'd be plenty happy to see GL 3 support solidify in time for the next round of spring/summer distro releases (I'm assuming that it will likely arrive too late for the fall/winter ones)
            Which wiki is that? 3.2/1.5 will be a fair amount of work, but 3.3/3.3 is downright tiny. And I think 3.1/1.4 is fairly small, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, you're probably right that it's unlikely GLSL 1.4 would be finished for the next release, but we can hope.

Comment

Sorry; I certainly should have linked. I was getting that from MissingFunctionality

Comment

While it will be good to finally see open-source driver support for the OpenGL 3.0 specification, by the time it's here, the Khronos Group specification will have been nearly five years old.
                2011 - 2008 = 3.

God, would I like to have GL 3.2 available. At least then I wouldn't need proprietary drivers just for testing basic modern graphics code.

Now if only Gallium actually supported D3D 10 then I wouldn't need proprietary drivers or a proprietary OS for developing not-built-on-a-batshit-insane-stupid-API graphics code.

Comment

Glsl 1.4

From the docs, here's what GLSL 1.4 entails:

Summary of Functionality differences from version 1.3
                  Minor wording changes, clarifications, and examples added or changed to keep in sync with the OpenGL
                  ES specification.
                  The following features are added or changed:
                  • Add uniform blocks and layouts to be backed by the application through buffer bindings.
                  • Rectangular textures, including the closure of t he functionality indicated by the original
                  texture_rectangle extension, the gpu_shader4 extension and the 1.3 version of GLSL.
                  • Texture buffers .
                  • Add gl_InstanceID for instance drawing.
                  • Don't require writing to gl_Position.
                  This is a very, very small list compared to what was in the 1.3 spec. Some of it could be tricky, though. After the 3.0 milestone, 3.2 is definitely the next big one. Then I think 4.0, which will take a long time to reach.

Comment

Is there anyone from Mesa, working on next OpenGL version?

AMD and Nvidia got their hands on OpenGL 3, much earlier then whole world, so it is pretty obvious that they got time to take leap ahead of mesa.

So is anyone from mesa in arb? To get preview on whats big next thing in OpenGL?

Comment

Working...
                    X