Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Gallium3D Continues Seeing Changes

Phoronix: Intel Gallium3D Continues Seeing Changes

Last week I mentioned that it looked like Google was interested in Gallium3D for Chromium OS. That has turned out to be the case and the flow of changes to the community Intel Gallium3D driver has only continued to increase...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the newer than i965 chipsets (i5 etc) are not covered at all by g3d right????

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      the newer than i965 chipsets (i5 etc) are not covered at all by g3d right????
      There is a driver, but nobody seems to be actively hacking on it. The last commit specifically for i965g is from January,

Comment

Basically Intel can squeeze better performance out of a Gallium3D driver than a classic Mesa driver for the older Intel integrated graphics they are using right now for their mobile Chromium OS notebook/netbook.
        Shouldn't it be Google squeezing?

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
          There is a driver, but nobody seems to be actively hacking on it. The last commit specifically for i965g is from January,
          ok

i thought that i965 was a previous generation and different than the ix series. got confused with all the intel chipsets

Comment

I think i965 as the driver name is meant to imply from i965 and upward, similar to how the r300 driver covers r300, r400 and r500.

Comment

I have a 965-based ultraportable ThinkPad. Too bad it can't run on the i915g code that Stephane is hacking on; I suspect that code will be looking quite good by the time Google is shipping that driver in production machines.

OTOH, the Intel-sponsored mainline i965c driver works extremely well here, with SNA. It drives Gnome 3 perfectly.

Comment

Well, the firt time i tried i915g from git it was really faster then classic mesa, the second time it featured about 35fps with extreme tux racer (this was about 2 weeks ago) while mesa did about 15.
                Looking forward for new commits!

Comment

benchmarks

I'll be sure to deliver a fresh set of Intel Gallium3D benchmarks to see how it compares to the classic i915 Mesa driver.
                  Please, please, please, make sure that LLVM is enabled in the driver even if it isn't the default. It clearly will be in anything Google ships, as that's the main reason to prefer the gallium driver right now. If you have to show the non-llvm version as well, ok, but don't leave the llvm version out completely.

Comment

Working...
                  X