Apple AirPrint Coming To Ubuntu Linux 11.04, 11.10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
    My nokia 'classic' non smart phone always has better reception than my mates and their smartphones. And I only have to charge it once every 10 days or so!

Smartphones are a fad!
    non-smart is a non-starter these days. They all have processors and run operating systems of varying complexity. With the free availability of proper smartphone operating systems, you can expect more and more of these "non-smart" phones to start coming equipped with operating systems like Android. The big question is why would you want to put the resources into creating and maintaining your own proprietary firmware rather than using what is freely available and better than anything on which you can justify the development cost?

Battery life on a "smart" phone is reduced mainly by background services, things like email synchronization that keep running in the background. Things that transfer a lot of data. If I deactivate data on my HTC VISION, it runs fine for well over a week -- and that is even with the occasional use of high power consumption components like GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by danwood76 View Post
      My nokia 'classic' non smart phone always has better reception than my mates and their smartphones. And I only have to charge it once every 10 days or so!
      Heh, very true. The only reason I moved to a smart phone is because my old die hard nokia feature phone met an untimely demise falling into a double rye and coke. Even after 4 years it still went 10+ days in between charging. Even though I have a smart phone now, it was more a matter of what was available vs needed features. If I'm gonna sign into a contract I might as well get something with the bells and whistles.

Comment

I tend to use my phone for making phone calls, most people with smart phones don't seem to use the device as a phone at all.

I do get my email though my phone, make calls etc and my battery life is 10 days minimum.

I don't see the point in a 'smart phone' but I will probably end up with one eventually as you say. As long as the battery life is the same of course!

Anyway back on topic, I don't see how this post by michael is even news. CUPS is actively maintained by apple so this was surely going to happen at some point anyway right?

Comment

it's only news here because something happened with regards to ubuntu about it.

Comment

Working...
          X