Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple AirPrint Coming To Ubuntu Linux 11.04, 11.10

Phoronix: Apple AirPrint Coming To Ubuntu Linux 11.04, 11.10

Submitted to the updates repository for Ubuntu 11.04 and the upcoming Ubuntu 11.10 Linux operating system releases is support within the CUPS printing package for Apple's AirPrint...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's cool that those supported HP printers support AirPrint without a computer, but supporting AirPrint in the general case of any printer under the sun is arguably even more useful. Coffee shops, libraries and other public places could set up an Ubuntu box supporting AirPrint to allow convenient printing from iOS devices, with no need to buy a new printer. And I'm sure we could write the client-side of this to also be able to print from Android or other mobile devices (though it'd take some work -- AFAIK Android has no print infrastructure at all).

Comment

PrintJinni which is a now free app allows iOS devices to print to wireless epson devices, just thought I would mention that.

Comment

And I had to go and buy a wired printer last year (from HP). Fooey. Works like a charm with CUPS on all the distros I've tried, and the scanner even works with SANE.

I don't own an iOS device (nor do I plan to), but hopefully we'll start seeing more mobile devices with the ability to print to wireless printers. And then I'll have to kick out ~$100 to go buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
          And I had to go and buy a wired printer last year (from HP). Fooey. Works like a charm with CUPS on all the distros I've tried, and the scanner even works with SANE.

I don't own an iOS device (nor do I plan to), but hopefully we'll start seeing more mobile devices with the ability to print to wireless printers. And then I'll have to kick out ~$100 to go buy one.
          You don't need to spend $100, those things are put on special every other week at your Best Buys of the world. Bought my last Epson WorkForce 520 for $30 when they were on sale at BB with no need to mail in a stupid rebate. Hell it even has a document feeder for scanning.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            You don't need to spend $100, those things are put on special every other week at your Best Buys of the world. Bought my last Epson WorkForce 520 for $30 when they were on sale at BB with no need to mail in a stupid rebate. Hell it even has a document feeder for scanning.
            Wow! I've been longing for a document feeder for scanning. I once had to do a bunch of worksheets out of a (paper) book, then hand them in electronically; scanning all those documents on the flatbed was, shall we say, extremely boring and hideously painful. I probably scanned 100 pieces of paper that way over the semester.

This Epson Workforce 520... works on Linux? Scanning and printing? With wireless support?

Comment

Isn't that basically Apple's name for DNS-SD?

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                This Epson Workforce 520... works on Linux? Scanning and printing? With wireless support?
                Yes to all questions. Epson has been very good with supplying linux drivers for their printers over the years. The contract Avasys to create them. http://avasys.jp/eng/linux_driver/
                Last edited by deanjo; 29 June 2011, 08:12 AM.

Comment

So... dumping a whole bunch of resources into enabling a corner use case that only applies to apple mobile devices (#4 and falling like a rock as people ditch that junk for more impressive alternatives) and nothing else... that supposed to make sense? Fruity will fall down to 5% or lower and only remain undead due to the obsessive support of hippie-wannabe's and teenage whor3s, none of whom even know what a printer IS.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    So... dumping a whole bunch of resources into enabling a corner use case that only applies to apple mobile devices (#4 and falling like a rock as people ditch that junk for more impressive alternatives) and nothing else... that supposed to make sense? Fruity will fall down to 5% or lower and only remain undead due to the obsessive support of hippie-wannabe's and teenage whor3s, none of whom even know what a printer IS.
                    Lol well I can tell you one thing, after giving the Galaxy for a spin recently, exchanging it 3 times in a month because of memory failures I'm happy to report that I have now enjoyed a month of incident free smart phone use (and I'm not having to charge it midday either like I had to with the galaxy).

Comment

Working...
                    X