Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan Gordon Working On UT3 For Linux

Phoronix: Ryan Gordon Working On UT3 For Linux

The Windows demo of Unreal Tournament 2003 is due out soon, but whether there will be an accompanying Linux demo client at that time is not known. However, Icculus has updated his finger/blog.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Windows demo of Unreal Tournament 2003 is due out soon
    I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      I don't think so.
      Fixed, thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

EGGcellent. This is the only kick-ass game I'm looking forward to (along with Far Cry 2, which unfortunately AFAIK won't run on GNU/Linux). Let the battle begin!

Comment

what's a brand new game when you don't have fast and stable 3d drivers?

/rant :d

Comment

Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
            what's a brand new game when you don't have fast and stable 3d drivers?

/rant :d
            Heh... They're only a minor problem with the G80 series chips and the AMD ones right at the moment. If you're using a 5xxx, 6xxx, or 7xxx NVidia card, then you're good to go. Hopefully, AMD will get their act together (I will re-iterate, it's not the fault of the team working on it that it's taking so long- you can only do so much within their dev process with a couple of developers...) and we'll have more options.

Comment

I just wanted to say that the Windows Demo is out, although doesn't have much to do with Linux, I tried it (in Windows). And guys the game kicks ass. Its probably going to be one of (or in my opinion the best) release all year.

The pace seems faster than UT 2004, its closer to the original (UT 99) in the pace of the game. And it is VERY optimized, if you have a mid range video card and a single core, don't worry, you'll be able to run the game near maxed, with a amd64 2800+ 768 mb of ram and a x1600xt, i'm able to run the game at 1280x1024 with 8x AF and no anti aliasing with texture detail near maxed and the world detail at half.

Basically for detail settings, there isn't much to do in the video options screen, you basically have world detail, and texture detail and the details range from 1-5. My texture detail is at 4, world is at 3. Theres also a slider that reduces the screen size, and it ranges from 50-100. At 50 the game looks very pixelated, at 100 it looks normal. I would guess this would be a last resort for anyone that has a very low end video card and wants to play. I have it set at 100. Runs great. Online play was superb.

The hoverboard was pretty fun, vehicles like the Manta seem to move quicker. Other than that besides a few extra new vehicles, the vehicles haven't changed much from UT 2004. They have introduced vehicles to some of the Deathmatch maps and have a gametype called Vehicle CTF as well now. The demo doesn't have all the gametypes the full version will have though. Its just got some simple ones like Deathmatch and Vehicle CTF. Theres two other ones too but I forgot what they were called, i'd have to check again.

I can't wait for the Linux demo to come out, I would guess it should be out soon.
              Last edited by Malikith; 13 October 2007, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Well go have >30 fps I had to use 640x480 with my X700 SE. Press TAB and enter:

stat fps

to show the fps.

Comment

With my singlecore AMD64 and an AMD Radeon X1900 XT 512, I have no problems with playing the Demo all maxed. AA isn't avaible in the DX9 render. The performance of the Unreal Engine 3 is stunning. There never was an engine that was optimzed like this. The game really kicks ass in it's own way (you don't have to play for a long time if you want, there's deathmatch etc.). I haven't played any UT for really long yet, but I consider buying UT3, too. Too many good games coming out atm. I've got ET: QW too and love it, but you couldn't compare these two. And I haven't playe HL2EP2 yet... come on Valve, confirm that you're working on a Linux port and I am buying it ASAP like all of your other games!

And do an OpenGL render for Crysis I say! And there's a need for good Linux MMORPGs. Warhammer Online would be awesome but I've heard that there will be no Linux client because they "have no experiences with that" or something...

Interesting times for Linux users!

Does anyone of you know if the OpenGL render of UT3 will look like the DX9 or the DX10 render from Windows? Is there a difference other than there's no AA with DX9?

- d2kx

Btw.: The UT3 Demo does not look as good as the full game will look like. Keep that in mind!
                  Last edited by d2kx; 13 October 2007, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                    Well go have >30 fps I had to use 640x480 with my X700 SE. Press TAB and enter:

stat fps

to show the fps.
                    I'm getting between 25-40, but thats fine with me, it doesn't get choppy at all, I've ran the game on minimum and 640x480 and it boosted the minimum and maximum up by about 5 at most, I'm pretty cpu bound, so I just stick with 1280x1024 running everything on medium/high. If they have a linux 64-bit version like UT 2004, that'll be cool and probably would help me out a little, then all I need to hope for is that the AGP bus issue is fixed and the drivers work well for my x1600xt. At least until I buy my new machine at the end of the year.

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                    With my singlecore AMD64 and an AMD Radeon X1900 XT 512, I have no problems with playing the Demo all maxed. AA isn't avaible in the DX9 render. The performance of the Unreal Engine 3 is stunning. There never was an engine that was optimzed like this. The game really kicks ass in it's own way (you don't have to play for a long time if you want, there's deathmatch etc.). I haven't played any UT for really long yet, but I consider buying UT3, too. Too many good games coming out atm. I've got ET: QW too and love it, but you couldn't compare these two. And I haven't playe HL2EP2 yet... come on Valve, confirm that you're working on a Linux port and I am buying it ASAP like all of your other games!

And do an OpenGL render for Crysis I say! And there's a need for good Linux MMORPGs. Warhammer Online would be awesome but I've heard that there will be no Linux client because they "have no experiences with that" or something...

Interesting times for Linux users!

Does anyone of you know if the OpenGL render of UT3 will look like the DX9 or the DX10 render from Windows? Is there a difference other than there's no AA with DX9?

- d2kx

Btw.: The UT3 Demo does not look as good as the full game will look like. Keep that in mind!
                    Yeah I can't wait for the full version of the game, I really want to play Onslaught again.

Oh and by the way guys, all the gametypes in the demo are Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Duel and Vehicle CTF. In the full version theres going to be alot more. Like bombing run, onslaught, unreal warfare, regular CTF, and all those other ones.

Comment

Working...
                    X