No announcement yet.

Tuxera Claims NTFS Is The Fastest File-System For Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. No one needs NTFS driver - people usually use it to access stuff on microsht or repair it. With linux box. No need for 10x access.
    2. NTFS permission system is a cumbersome joke! Linux 888 is so simplistic and efficient!
    3. Consider the efficiency - with ext4 I have never ever had to reinstall - the filesystem ALWAYS recovered safely. In ntfs and windows xp times I have been reinstalling it on monthly basis.
    4. NTFS has badblocks... lols!
    5. Tuxera is closed source software. NTFS is proprietary.
    6. No data about precaching (how many MBs does tuxera waste for write-ahead cache?)

EXT4 is tried and true system, opensource and tested. Vs wild claims of proprietary developer about unused cases on offtopic system.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
      1. No one needs NTFS driver - people usually use it to access stuff on microsht or repair it. With linux box. No need for 10x access.
      2. NTFS permission system is a cumbersome joke! Linux 888 is so simplistic and efficient!
      3. Consider the efficiency - with ext4 I have never ever had to reinstall - the filesystem ALWAYS recovered safely. In ntfs and windows xp times I have been reinstalling it on monthly basis.
      4. NTFS has badblocks... lols!
      5. Tuxera is closed source software. NTFS is proprietary.
      6. No data about precaching (how many MBs does tuxera waste for write-ahead cache?)

EXT4 is tried and true system, opensource and tested. Vs wild claims of proprietary developer about unused cases on offtopic system.
      1. You just provided your use case while denying it exists. Fancy.
      2. You're incredibly wrong. My god, I just have no words.
      3. Reinstalling is unrelated to a filesystem maintaining its integrity. (As you didn't bother to mention a filesystem problem or the actions you attempted to repair it, I'm assuming that none existed and you simply lack education in the basic tenets of logic.)
      4. In which you make it obvious that you're a snot-nosed brat with no idea what he's talking about.

Epilogue: You realise NTFS has been around for more than a decade, right? 5 and 6 are surprisingly correct (if lifted directly from other posts in this thread), but crapping on NTFS in your ignorance is rather uncouth. Though I find the use of Windows in any application hilarious at best (embedded is great-- love the BSOD vending machines; comedy gold), you cannot deny that NTFS has been widely deployed in almost every sort of environment imaginable (inside our atmosphere). That it's still capable of functioning at anything approaching a modern level (even bearing in mind the various versions) is nothing short of impressive.

Your disdain almost certainly comes unfounded from the position of one who is not a programmer and knows nothing of the craft. You should stop making words now.

Comment

Originally posted by kebabbert View Post
        Sure, this thing is fast. But is it safe? Probably not.
        .... the normal NTFS is unsafe and might corrupt your data:...
        i had some big troubles with ntfs drives when i used the 512 byte sector hard-drive , i have jumped to 4096 byte sector hard-drive mostly because that is the size wiwi like to use for formatting . then i do not regret it at all .
        [i have 6 2To drive of them , that are not very fast and 2 ssd 64Go for wiwi and fedora]

i use Auslogics Disk Defrag and Defraggler , that are both very good for defrags

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
          That's why all this talk about its security is a bullshit.
          Are you sure about that? http://www.symantec.com/security_res...032400-0103-99

Linux.Psybot is a worm that spreads between embedded devices running Linux MIPS, such as routers and DSL modems.

No interaction with the user needed. Awesome security, that.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Windows and Linux security is on par with each other, and pretending otherwise by burying our heads in the sand just means that it won't ever get any better.
            Not really, when the most popular web hosting OS goes 3 months without a security update, any positive comparison between the two gets shot in the ass.

Linux security is only on par with Microsoft's when someone is being paid to provide security patches for the OS, otherwise it is a rather unfunny joke that ends up with your sites being used to host lolcats.

Comment

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post

Linux.Psybot is a worm that spreads between embedded devices running Linux MIPS, such as routers and DSL modems.

Haha, awesome joke!

Once executed, the worm attempts to obtain a shell in the remote computer using the following methods:
              • Bruteforcing user name and passwords of administration interfaces
              • Using an exploit for other vulnerable daemon

Comment

Linux security is only on par with Microsoft's when someone is being paid to provide security patches for the OS, otherwise it is a rather unfunny joke that ends up with your sites being used to host lolcats.
                No, it's on pair with Microsoft when you open all ports, run all services and every installed applications as well. If nothing happens then you have to find some trojan horse and run it.

Comment

Is this supposed to be proof of something? Bruteforcing of weak password against a router running (which must have enabled external administration). Weak password on a connected system allowing remote login, no security can save you there.

Full threat assessment from Symantec on Linux.Psy

Wild Level: Low
                  Number of Infections: 0 - 49
                  Number of Sites: 0 - 2
                  Geographical Distribution: Low
                  Threat Containment: Easy
                  Removal: Easy

If this was the best you could dig up then I'd say you made Linux look very secure. Or am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
                    If this was the best you could dig up then I'd say you made Linux look very secure. Or am I missing something?
                    You have probably missed this:

Not really, when the most popular web hosting OS goes 3 months without a security update, any positive comparison between the two gets shot in the ass.
                    To proof Linux' security its updates have to be delayed for about 3 months (I'd give one more week as a bonus, so we can boast we're better than Windows, because we holded the place longer).

Comment

Hmm I have a hard time believing this. The 'native' implementation of NTFS on windows 7 is much much slower than my ext4 partition with Ubuntu 10.10.

I have made a couple of tests with my new Crucial C300 256 Gb SSD, and the ext4 is super fast on this drive. Even though I only have SATA II, I get read speeds up to 290 MB/sek, which is almost three times as fast as I get in windows 7.

I really doubt that they managed to make a feature complete ntfs implementation that much better than windows' native ntfs implementation.

Comment

Working...
                      X