Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo-Based Sabayon Linux 6.0 Released

Phoronix: Gentoo-Based Sabayon Linux 6.0 Released

The Gentoo-based Sabayon Linux distribution has officially released their version 6.0 build. Sabayon is a popular alternative to running Gentoo directly as it focuses upon providing a pleasant "out of the box" support and on greater usability, with the 6.0 release there are a number of helpful improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Day before Sabayon 6.0 come out...

I did downloaded and installed Sabayon 5.5. On my fast Uniwersity network.

Update took more than 6h on my 1mb net connection at home :/ and still there 248 updates more.

I'm lucky, am I not?

Kudso to Sabayon for one of best live distros in the wild!!!

Comment

i love sabayon easy to use and the power of gentoo .very cool OS

Comment

Wow long time no see. What's up with IceTea? Never heared about OpenJDK?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          IcedTea is OpenJDK with patches for the missing pieces

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            IcedTea is OpenJDK with patches for the missing pieces
            Yeah, except the pieces aren't missing anymore in OpenJDK...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              Gentoo uses IcedTea. As do Fedora and Ubuntu. I don't know if any distros use straight up OpenJDK. IcedTea is fully compatible with Java 6, so there's no reason to switch to OpenJDK at this point really.

From what I've read OpenJDK doesn't have the Java Web Start plugin, but IcedTea does, so that's one advantage IcedTea has.
              Edit: If I'm reading it correctly, IcedTea has a 64-bit plugin which OpenJDK does not. I guess OpenJDK has a 32-bit one?

Comment

Originally posted by nir2142 View Post
                i love sabayon easy to use and the power of gentoo .very cool OS
                Seriously, how much is "Gentoo" in this Sabayon? Can I rebuild all packages for my system? Can I switch the profile and upgrade world? Can I remove several useflags? Can I modify their kernel a bit?

To me, Sabayon is power of ubuntu, but not gentoo.

Comment

Good Distro

I just installed Sabayon 6.0. 8 updates plus Firefox and KTorrent. Seems strange KTorrent wasn't installed by default with KDE, first time I've seen that. I put it on a second disk with openSUSE-Tumbleweed on the other, using BIOS to control boot disk. Easy enough to copy SUSE Firefox profile over to Sabayon, so browsing is all set.

Sabayon can be configured to be as much or as little like Gentoo as you like. Default is made easy for newbies and works pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by LenS View Post
                    Sabayon can be configured to be as much or as little like Gentoo as you like. Default is made easy for newbies and works pretty well.
                    You did not answer any of my questions. From my experience Sabayon is bloatware with nothing Gentoo left.

Comment

Working...
                    X