Haiku OS Advances With New Official Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    So I'm not the only one with this crashy experience If I paid $1795 or more for a compiler license and it crashed internally as often as EkoPath does, I would want a refund. No wonder they open sourced it.
    Well, it certainly hasn't impressed me yet, however I am using the nightlies and I'm assuming (hoping) that the internal crashes are atleast due to them being in-development snapshots. The lack of compability is a bit more worrying though.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      So you might say that GCC2 support is a good thing as it means the code is portable. Pfft netbsd still buits on GCC2 after all and its gets respect seriously don't diss an OS cause it supports MORE compilers.
      I don't think NetBSD is shipping compiled with GCC 2, dude. And it only supports GCC2, it doesn't recommend it or use it by default.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        its nice to see a hobby os coming together after 10 years in development

i would be glad to give it a try in a VM if my computer could be used as something more than a web browser
        Running it in a VM is not fun. There is no sound, no mouse integration with the host, no shared clipboard or shared folders, no graphics driver....

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          Running it in a VM is not fun. There is no sound, no mouse integration with the host, no shared clipboard or shared folders, no graphics driver....
          There's certainly sound when I'm running through VirtualBox, as for the other things (shared folders/clipboard, mouse integration) it's in the works as part of a GSOC project this summer.

Comment

I don't get any sound in VMWare. Is there some tweak I need to perform?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
              According to a poll asking for what was a requirement for ending R1, was Gallium3D and WPA (and some other things).

I think any OS should now ditch GCC for EkoPath anyway, especially because Linux only needs one tiny patch and EkoPath supports GnuC anyway.

Anything not x86 or Itanium? LLVM for the long run. Gnu gives two fingers to standards. I mean... GNU C? WTF... Non-complience and bugs everywhere...
              really insulting posting there.

gcc adheres to standards. Nobody gives 'two fingers to standards'. That is a lie. You should be ashamed.

gcc supports some constructs which are not part of 'the standards' - the gnu extensions. Nobody forces you to use them. You can happily write&compile your project without any non-standard line.

It is the choice of the people to use those extensions. And some people chose to use them. A lot of people actually. Might give you some food for thought.

Comment

installoptionalpackage -a opensound

OpenSound 4.x has been ported to Haiku and offers drivers which work under vmware.

PS. you will have to expand the vm disk image, since there is not enough free space to install opensound. On real hardware, though, it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post

gcc adheres to standards. Nobody gives 'two fingers to standards'. That is a lie. You should be ashamed.

gcc supports some constructs which are not part of 'the standards' - the gnu extensions. Nobody forces you to use them. You can happily write&compile your project without any non-standard line.

It is the choice of the people to use those extensions. And some people chose to use them. A lot of people actually. Might give you some food for thought.
                  Don't mind V!NCENT, he's a hater. The guy has same irrational hate towards GNU, the FSF and RMS. That's why he's rooting for any compiler but GCC. And yes he's clueless on the subject.

Comment

Ahh, I was assuming you used VirtualBox, in which Haiku Alpha runs perfectly with the host ALSA audio driver. Also the VM integrations being worked on for GSOC that I mentioned are for VirtualBox aswell. I haven't used VMWare in ages so I can't help you there.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post

C'mon... GNU adheres as much to C as Internet Explorer adheres to W3C standards. The amount of times I have seen releases passed while having 'complience regressions' is insane.

From http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Standards.html
                      For each language compiled by GCC for which there is a standard, GCC attempts to follow one or more versions of that standard, possibly with some exceptions, and possibly with some extensions.
                      That's not possibly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C99
                      Don't confuse facts for insults. Many compilers have that problem.

Like with Microsoft Windows? Nobody requires you to use DirectX for web apps, or Silverlight, but you can use them anyway? You know they call that shit? lock-in-product.

A lot of people choose to develop for Windows. Food for thought too? I think not.

@AC: Stop being so full of shit. There is passion for better stuff (open source), concepts (like an interface and not bloody Windows 8, but fanboys were happy to keep op shitstorming about how Apple rules the world) and there are facts (things not working or breaking). It is well know that I am a FLOSS fanboy and there are countless ATi FLOSS versus nVidia closed source discussions/flamewars to sift through to prove I'm not a fan of proprietary AT ALL.

Comment

Working...
                      X