Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haiku OS Advances With New Official Release

Phoronix: Haiku OS Advances With New Official Release

The Haiku operating system, which seeks to be free software and implement compatibility with the BeOS platform, has now experienced its third official release in ten years of development. Haiku R1 Alpha 3 is this new official release and it offers a lot of changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GCC 2.x?? Really?

Comment

PAE? is it a 32 bit OS only?
      Anyway, maximum respect for the defunct BeOS and for the guys reviving it nowadays

is it possible to think of a future for this OS outside the small group of nostalgic? I mean, if after 20 years of honorable history, even Linux hasn't made a breakthrough on the desktop world... it's very likely that Haiku will go no further than Linux. Maybe it will find new life in the mobile world (tablets, in car entertainment, smart-TV...)

Comment

Yeah, Haiku got stock in the early 90's. It's 32bit-only, single user. They say it's fast though, but so is Windows 95 :P

PS:
        GCC 2 must be some kind of joke.
        Last edited by RealNC; 20 June 2011, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Uh well... being 32 bit only, single user, and devoted to the desktop (BeOS was born with the desktop as a the priority target) I find it hard to imagine a future in nowadays mobile world. Unless Haiku breaks the compatibility with BeOS legacy...

Comment

GCC2

From what I understand, GCC and the Linux kernel are so heavily intertwined that it is becoming bad thing for both projects.

So, I guess thins kind of thing is understandable when other operating systems try to utilize the GCC compiler.

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
              Uh well... being 32 bit only, single user, and devoted to the desktop (BeOS was born with the desktop as a the priority target) I find it hard to imagine a future in nowadays mobile world. Unless Haiku breaks the compatibility with BeOS legacy...
              I think that's the plan ("break compatibility with BeOS legacy"), but not until R2 (which is a ways off).

Comment

Originally posted by eric.frederich View Post
                From what I understand, GCC and the Linux kernel are so heavily intertwined that it is becoming bad thing for both projects.
                What ?

Comment

I welcome any new open source and community driven project. So I like Haiku.
                  But I even like more those projects aimed at bringing innovation, especially in user experience. So I just hope that Haiku could become what Wayland has become with respect to X: an advanced (c)lean project aimed at offering the best user experience on modern hardware.
                  In the end, wasn't BeOS born aiming at offering the snappiest experience on desktops, and sporting native multimedia capabilities in a time in which bloated and legacy tied-up OSes were struggling to follow the evolution of desktop user needs?

Comment

its nice to see a hobby os coming together after 10 years in development

i would be glad to give it a try in a VM if my computer could be used as something more than a web browser

Comment

Working...
                    X