New Phoronix Site Launches [old]
It's finally here!
Should be updated @ http://www.phoronix.com/
Announcement #2: http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=9533
Feel free to discuss what you like and you don't like in this thread. We will be making some tweaks in the coming days and we highly value your feedback.
Last edited by David; 10-02-2007 at 09:04 PM.
This whole, " & solaris" thing is garbage, since when should phoronix care about fucking solaris?
The new design is crap and supports too much adds, wheres navigation or shoutbox on the right? google ads is way to pandering here. and this used to be a cool linux gaming turbo nvidia site, now its got + SOLARIS added to it, just seems like this is all just some guys blog in an attic with a half dozen machines doing cool GNU/LINUX shit, and now that he wants to branch out of timedemos to play with nix. I THINK this guys time could be spent doing something raelly cool like modding a dreamcast to run openbsd, or doing more tutorials, in fact, I nominate myself for Head of Propaganda to further the cause of the GNU platform.
Seriously, fix this fast.
Last edited by byteframe; 04-19-2007 at 10:38 PM.
...and who the duece runs solaris?
Originally Posted by byteframe
Regardless of whether it is positive or negative, we appreciate all feedback.
While the ad locations have changed, we actually haven't increased the number of ads on Phoronix. In fact, on some pages it's less.
In regards to Solaris, it's a growing market. At this point we are focusing largely upon Solaris news and compatibility in articles. Producing Solaris news takes minimal time and running additional OS tests has been one of the items requested by a number of readers. You shouldn't need to worry about the number of Linux articles going down or the quality of the articles going down as a result of Solaris.
If you have any other comments as to the new design, they would be welcome.
I might add some extra feedback:
- Black on white, for me, is much better than the inverse.
- Possibly introduce a third colour to better draw out headings. I'm particularly concerned about the left hand side. I'd suggest green, but that feels very "slashdot". I notice the background colour, but it's too close to black to stand out at all.
- The main nav bar could be better defined as navigation and separated from the rest of the content/header. Possibly highlight the current section as well.
- The nav bar above the header - what is it doing? Is it searching articles or news or everything. Could be clearer what it is.
- Making sure all margins are the same gives a sleeker look. I'm talking the right margin of the main content (no margin here) and the two navigation bars look a bit different also.
Ok, I just refreshed and got a few changes Maybe I'll check back later....
Sounds like you may be running into some CSS refresh problems. Can you try back tomorrow and see if all of your points are still effected on your system?
Originally Posted by ltmon
I'll have to agree with the google ads part. I think it does overtake the site. Also I don't believe it should take such an important spot on the top of the left nav bar. (In fact that left nav space is just downright massive.) It could be used for a flyout navigation instead or something useful.
Originally Posted by byteframe
And I think the left nav is too wide and doesn't have much navigation. You guys have any thoughts on that?
Please make it 1024x768 friendly. I have to scroll all the time
The design looks crowded. It's hard to find any information on it. Sometimes less is more.