More Linux Benchmarks Of The AMD A8-3500M Fusion APU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
    I do a lot of programming on my machine and when I have the time I also like to game at 1920x1200 with 16xAA and 16xAF.
    I know other people will have different uses for their machine, but the target market of Llano still seems like a niche to me.
    Gamers targeting 1920x1200 with 16xAA and 16xAF are the niche here. Llano is targeted at laptops and budget desktop systems, not high end gaming or workstation machines.

I'm not buying Llano myself, but that doesn't mean it won't be successful in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      The thing is, I don't see Llano as balanced. To me, it looks like a rather crappy CPU, with an ancient architecture, paired with an oversized GPU that still needs replacing if you're serious about graphics. It doesn't eat much less power than Sandy Bridge and doesn't cost significantly less.
      If I still have to throw away the embedded GPU, I'd much rather it's a smaller one and I get to keep the more capable CPU. I do a lot of programming on my machine and when I have the time I also like to game at 1920x1200 with 16xAA and 16xAF.
      I know other people will have different uses for their machine, but the target market of Llano still seems like a niche to me.
      Brazos sold incredibly well, since it kicked Atom's butt. Bur Llano isn't beating anything.
      Yes, a niche as small as 90% of the consumer and business workstation market is much smaller then the droves of gamers with 2 or more $300 GPUs and $500 or more in CPU on a $200 mobo with a $200 PSU.

I'm a gamer as well, I'm just not dumb enough to think that we're a large enough market to matter, the only thing we're good for is the free advertising done on the forums or when your cousin asks what model Dell they should buy.

The HTPC and casual gamer market (Sims, WoWcrack, browser games) will suck these these right on up so long as the OEMs don't choke the life out of the GPU with DDR3 1066Mhz or worse 800Mhz. These things scream for at least 1.6Ghz+.

Is there a single HIB game that wont be completely playable on these?

Comment

Phornix still refuse to inform it's readers that there is also VAAPI for xine in the work.

Download xine-plugin-crystalhd for free. Xine plugin ChrystalHD is a decoder plugin for xine-lib-1.2 to supporting the Broadcom CrystalHD video decoders ( bcm70012/bcm70015 ).

They got informed by mail and also an atempt to create a thread topic here was ignored.

Comment

Actually I was thinking of getting one of these laptops to go back to school with. Applications like mathematica can use opencl along with many other engineering type applications.

This kind of laptop looks like it would be ideal for usage in class and being able to follow along with the kinds of simulations done in class very nicely since so much work could be offloaded to the gpu.

For stuff that required a lot more computation power I already have a desktop machine I would use for all the heavy lifting stuff. The llano just looks like a good laptop design for battery power and certain kinds of application loads.

I could buy a much more powerful laptop but that would also mean it was much heavier especially if it had much battery life and I want to avoid that. It would also make the laptop much more expensive. This looks like for $700 you could have a laptop to use in class and run apps like mathematica, mathcad without issues and still have it last more then long enough.

Comment

I've got a laptop with Llano in it. I can't seem to get turboCore to kick in though. No matter how much I peg a single core, the core frequency maxes at 1900Mhz!

Anyone get TurboCore to work? Michael?

Comment

Working...
            X