More Linux Benchmarks Of The AMD A8-3500M Fusion APU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ebsi View Post
    What a lame excuse, the intel GPU's not supported on 11.04. You guys know how to update the intel driver stack and the kernel. Your comparision is not correct and draws a wrong picture. Both CPU's come with an integrated GPU, and therefore the correct test is using those GPU's.
    amd's gpu is blatantly better anyway, so why does it matter? on linux it isn't that good but that's just because amd's linux drivers tend to suck. so far every benchmark i've seen of the a8-3500, the gpu has surpassed even i7's IGP.

Comment

Originally posted by PsynoKhi0 View Post
      It's based on an older core, with more focus on the GPU, so pretty good all things considered.
      Earth-shattering? Nope. A viable alternative? Definitely.
      I pretty much know what my next laptop will be based on now
      I don't think it's that impressive. Just look here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/a...apu-a8-3500m/7

Same battery life and Sandy Bridge wipes the floor with Llano. Llano only wins if you insist to run games on the integrated GPU. And it's only $10-20 cheaper than Sandy Bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        I don't think it's that impressive. Just look here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4444/a...apu-a8-3500m/7

Same battery life and Sandy Bridge wipes the floor with Llano. Llano only wins if you insist to run games on the integrated GPU. And it's only $10-20 cheaper than Sandy Bridge.
        I was wondering when someone would point to that. The Llano system there has a lower capacity battery. If you look at the relative battery life comparisons, then things look a little different, and Llano comes out ahead, and then as the article noted, it's actually likely to be about the same once screen sizes are taken into account.

Comment

I guess we are still waiting for a PSX and N64 emulator benchmark for the netbook CPUs....
          Would be really useful for telling if its worth getting.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
            Uh... Oh great another "But but but..." ping pong internet game... I've got that tingling feeling I'm wasting my time on this one...
            Hell, it's friday night, let's party!
            Ok, my turn then?
            "Sandy Bridge only wins if you insist on running Cinebench 24/7 on your laptop."
            Next participant? Any taker? *hands out the microphone*

And erm, which only $10-20 more expensive SB wipes the floor in which context?

Comment

Can't wait to see these things in my home.
              It's fast enough and also affordable. As far as I read with the power consumption it's also quite good, though of course depending on the environment and specific tests. A good step into the notebook market. Welcome, AMD, I waited far too long. Finally having the option for decent notebooks, working w. Linux and also having a fair/good battery runtime.
              Before people often used AMD CPUs in sometimes rather shoddy things with horrible periphery so they often didn't last long in terms of battery.
              The Llano introduction is something to celebrate for me (and everybody else, be them fanboys or not )
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I was waiting for Llano before release, but now it seems like a bad choice. Not only has AMD hinted that socket FM1 will go bye-bye after just llano, the proper update (Trinity) is promised shortly, in less than a year.

Will still consider one if the price is right though, I need a new machine. If not, it's a choice between dead socket & dead tech vs dead socket & dead tech - will go Athlon if it's cheaper.

Comment

Well the Socket AM2/+/3 compatibility was awesome. But in a notebook (sadly) there are normally not much options to change anything. Some might even be soldered directly to the mainboard. So then the socket format would not really matter that much.
                  Looks different on desktop though.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Isn't the AMD A8 the high end series of AMD APUs? And it has roughly the same CPU performance as the i3, which is Intel's entry level series?

This is not looking good for AMD..

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                      Isn't the AMD A8 the high end series of AMD APUs? And it has roughly the same CPU performance as the i3, which is Intel's entry level series?
                      Llano is K10 with power gating and lower frequencies. K10 itself is a tweak of K8 which made it's debut 8 years ago.
                      Since AMD can only compete in the GPU segment, they now tell us CPU power is not important anymore. You'll excuse me if if don't buy that.

Comment

Working...
                      X