ASUS Motherboard Ships With Embedded Linux, Web Browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by remm View Post
    This needs additional development, obviously, but this is a very interesting capability. Probably not expensive to add, so it might well become a standard feature in motherboards.
    Most likely, ASUS offers defaults, which means a blinking and ad tingling Web.

Comment

I'm just replying to this so that I can download a video. Apparently having just one post isn't enough.

Originally posted by eric.frederich View Post
      I can think of a lot of uses for this.

How many times have you had to find out which piece of hardware is bad in a computer?
      Is it the OS installation (windows likes to mess up over time), the video card, the memory, the hard drive etc.

When I suspect it is the OS installation I usually wind up booting off of a Knoppix-like live CD and see if the problems are still there.

Another use for this would be to install Linux to a hard drive without burning any CDs.
      I use Gentoo. When I install it, I use whatever Live CD I have lying around. All you need is a handful of commands. You need fdisk, wget, tar, an editor, etc.

Another good use for this would be a built in (recovery mode).
      How many times has a Windows machine not been able to boot itself but all the data is still there?
      You either have to take out the hard drive and put it in another computer and burn stuff to CDs / DVDs before reformating the hard drive or you have to boot into a Live Linux CD and do something similar. With this...its right there.

Now...having said that. I wouldn't want to pay more than the $0.10 it would cost me to burn a CD to have this feature.

Comment

Working...
      X