Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Linux Benchmarks Of Project Dirndl

Phoronix: Final Linux Benchmarks Of Project Dirndl

To much dismay, the major open-source announcement we have been waiting for, did not happen this week. Yes, this is the major open-source announcement that we have codenamed Dirndl. It is really that deserving of such a fitting codename. As our early tests have shown, it can dramatically speed-up the system's performance in computationally intensive workloads. No other open-source solution comes close in many of these tests, albeit there are some other proprietary brethren. In this article are some more details and performance results for what has been called "Dirndl" in technology terms.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

- Not only is this innovative software component available at no cost, but also its source code will be available under the GPL license.
    This is something WONDERFUL!

Comment

@Michael:
      Himeno: I'd call that a performance boost of 229%, or a performance boost to 329% of the base speed.
      C-Ray: In my book, if the time it takes decreases by 43%, the performance has improved by 75%.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, since English is not my native tongue.

Can't wait to see what will be behind this Dirndl.

Comment

Its GPLv3 though which eats at some people.... still open source is open source to many people and the world continues moving forward...or sideways however you want to look at it.

Comment

This + the new sandy bridge driver. Exciting times ahead for me

Comment

It's impressive this software. I'll be waiting next week to view what really is. As the article say, it's not a magic bullet, but, can it benefit normal users and desktop oriented distros in some manner and not only for high load jobs?

PD: Michael, in the system's configurations, at the end of the first page, you doesn't say the RAM of the system 1 and says 4 GB of RAM for system 2. In the openbenchmarking page it says that system 1 have 4 GB and system 2 have 2 GB.

Comment

I can't comment without knowing details. I have access to a 48 core amd which runs our highly threaded process. Of course it just has ram, cpus and storage on it. Remove the vid card and what happens?

The sparse matrix multiply regression is somewhat troubling.

Comment

If I may ask:

Is this thing:
                A) some set of libraries overriding default system/c/c++ math/computational libraries and it works out of box after installation on every workload
                B) is it some compiler/compiler addon so you had to compile those benchmarks from source?
                If its the option A) its awesome
                If option B) its nice but it won't necessarily change the game.

Does it utilize gpu power? Will this give a nice boost for mid range cpu's and gpu's?

Anyway can't wait till its official

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                  This is something WONDERFUL!
                  No, its a just stupid license that keeps lawyers employed.

Comment

Originally posted by kacperpl1 View Post
                    Is this thing:
                    A) some set of libraries overriding default system/c/c++ math/computational libraries and it works out of box after installation on every workload
                    B) is it some compiler/compiler addon so you had to compile those benchmarks from source?
                    If its the option A) its awesome
                    If option B) its nice but it won't necessarily change the game.

Does it utilize gpu power? Will this give a nice boost for mid range cpu's and gpu's?

Anyway can't wait till its official
                    B is just as good. It just takes some more time until it reaches the end users.

Comment

Working...
                    X