Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Features Coming Up For Fedora 16

Phoronix: Other Features Coming Up For Fedora 16

Yesterday we shared that Fedora 16 may use the Btrfs file-system by default on new installations. Beyond switching from EXT4 to Btrfs, there are also many other changes planned for this next release of the Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

looks to become a very good and interesting release.

Comment

Normaly I'm not so paranoid, but after watching Apple's cloud stuff I feel like that word is tainted.

I like the cloud concept, but I think it would be better if this cloud stuff were to be hosted on my own computer.

What would be interesting is having agressive cloud integration with my desktop, running cloud services under Linux. Also have an extra power down button, which heavily underclocks my computer so that it doesn't need active cooling anymore, but would act only as networked NAS with download features. For example telling to to download a torrent from my Android. SystemD could then aid in unloading all desktop services and loading upon pressing space bar or something.

Combine that with a P2P social network protocol that can also talk with Facebook and it's golden (for example only listening but not posting), and people being able to also see my social media through a web interface (website).

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
        Normaly I'm not so paranoid, but after watching Apple's cloud stuff I feel like that word is tainted.
        The distinct advantage in all the technologies including in Fedora including Cloud software is that it is all free and open source and hence you can run your own instance easily since it is packaged and readily available on the repositories.

Red Hat has a strong interest in making sure that there is good interoperability and freedom from lock in for its customers. Projects like libvirt and deltacloud and all the new things coming out from the team is explicitly targeted towards avoiding seeing a repeat of the mainframes control and vertical stacks lock in that has been so typical a decade or so back. It is as different from Apple as one could think of.

Comment

That's realy cool. But instead of buying a seperate server or having to leave my computer on at full power is not so great.

For example if I want to keep a social network thing running with the fans on I can't sleep at night and turning it off when I'm sleeping isn't that great either.

I believe Fedora would be a great platform to do just that; keeping the cloud services running on my desktop, but heavily underclocked and headless when I'm not using it.

This gives you all the advantages of the cloud, minus the disadvantages. Well... except for maintenance, but I am willing so sacrifice some downtime for freedom (Fedora is, after all, bleeding edge and not as well tested as Red Hat Linux).

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            That's realy cool. But instead of buying a seperate server or having to leave my computer on at full power is not so great.

(Fedora is, after all, bleeding edge and not as well tested as Red Hat Linux).
            If you want to see p2p based projects, you should invest on them. Donate to

weekly handbook about unhosted web apps

Fedora is more well tested than Red Hat Linux was. I guess you mean RHEL there :-)

Comment

That's exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Do you have any details on this project? I see it's a protocol, but what is it? Just a protocol for web apps to request your data? Or a new protocol like reinventing the entire web with current web technologies? What it exactly about?

Comment

Briefly, it is a protocol for the web that separates application providers from the data providers and regulates and standardizes exchange. It will rely on client side encryption and DHT storage.

Comment

Working...
                X