The "Dirndl" On AMD Opterons Are Impressive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
    Aside from the engineering challenge of rewriting stuff to use a more strict compiler like gcc 4.x (let alone a less popular compiler like Intel's ICC or AMD's Open64 or PathScale's EKOPath), the other question is: would it provide a measurable performance benefit?
    My point was not to provide performance but code fixes and new features to help them fix some of their bugs. Some time ago, there was a memory allocation problem for XvBA/Catalyst. A solution to avoid clashes (XvBA used the wrong allocators and then was leaking memory) was to use visibility attributes and not expose certain symbols, or use linker scripts to filter out the necessary ones. By then, another "solution" was chosen as it provided least effort. e.g. wrt. fix the code for C++ conformance and then regression testing.

In your wiki model (of do's and don'ts), you are probably talking of a C++ subset. If that was to be used, then any compliant compiler would still compile this subset. If this is not the case, this means that subset was probably not compliant in the first place.

PathScale EKOPath, for its part, doesn't seem to have anything to do with a GPU; it's just a very efficient C/C++ compiler for the CPU.
    Well, it probably evolved but some time ago, Pathscale was not a so efficient compiler as it was marketed. Michael's figures tend to say "yes" nowadays though. Anyway, they did a great job at making it more GCC compatible (newer C++ ABI at that time) than what the original Pro64/Open64/ORC/whatever was. I still wish ENZO is going open source instead of EKOPath. IIRC, for the latter, sources were already available to some research institutions.

Comment

If it is EKOPath, I'm going to regret not using Gentoo :P

Anyhow, the PKGBUILD for mesa will get a tweak, that's for sure ^^

David

Comment

waste of time

so why are you wasting my time with results of "dirndl" without telling me what it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
          so why are you wasting my time with results of "dirndl" without telling me what it is?
          You're kidding right? If not, be ashamed of your self and read the article one more time.

Comment

I am genuinly excited.
            Here's hoping it makes normal software go faster too (Firefox? Kernel? JRE?)

J.

Comment

They already released some of their code under BSD licence,

It would be nice if this code dump would be BSD too.

Comment

Originally posted by kuse View Post
                You're kidding right? If not, be ashamed of your self and read the article one more time.
                I read the article several times, and still have no idea what "dirndl" is, other than some kind of magic sauce that makes stuff go faster....

Apparently it somehow involves GPUs; a compiler/infrastructure for running traditional CPU tasks on GPUs maybe? I dunno, because the article simply doesn't say.

This kind of stuff does make phoronix look bad.

Comment

Originally posted by snogglethorpe View Post
                  I read the article several times, and still have no idea what "dirndl" is, other than some kind of magic sauce that makes stuff go faster....

Apparently it somehow involves GPUs; a compiler/infrastructure for running traditional CPU tasks on GPUs maybe? I dunno, because the article simply doesn't say.

This kind of stuff does make phoronix look bad.
                  Then apparently you didn't read the article, i'll help you so you don't look so stupid here on the forum:

Those that follow my Twitter feed know a big software announcement is pending after being set back multiple times over the past week. Here's one graph illustrating the real-world impact of this yet-to-be-announced open-source move for open operating systems.
                  In the graph below, "Dirndl" is the codename for this new project that we shall use until the official announcement is made, as the results are just so irresistible. The Ubuntu 11.04 result is the value of a stock Ubuntu Natty installation.

Comment

Originally posted by snogglethorpe View Post
                    Apparently it somehow involves GPUs
                    Where in the article does it say 'GPU'? Which test is testing the GPU?

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
                      If it is EKOPath, I'm going to regret not using Gentoo :P

Anyhow, the PKGBUILD for mesa will get a tweak, that's for sure ^^

David
                      I hope it happens for every single PKGBUILD.

Do you think Arch will switch to EKOPath any time soon?

Comment

Working...
                      X