Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synaptics Gets Predictable Motion, Smooth Scrolling

Phoronix: Synaptics Gets Predictable Motion, Smooth Scrolling

Last week there was the release of a set of patches for X.Org that implement smooth-scrolling support for the X Server. These patches were released by Daniel Stone and today he's now released a set of patches that target the X.Org Synaptics input driver for implementing smooth scrolling, predictable motion, and better acceleration...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds great! wonder how soon I can expect these improvements to show up in arch

Comment

Nice to see google contributing back to linux... Seeing as they have 2 major linux OS's their code contribution back can seem underwhelming. Sorry if I'm unaware of some uber google code that's responsible for linux being so cool.

Comment

Now we just need somebody to get the Synaptics Linux driver to uncripple all the multitouch touchpads that are crippled in firmware. There's one magic Windows driver that does this -- enables multi-finger detection on damn near ALL touchpads.

Haven't updated your laptop's trackpad driver lately? Then you may well want to consider doing so, at least if your laptop is equipped with a Synaptics trackpad. As a user on the Hardware Zone forums discovered, the latest Synaptics driver seems to enable multitouch gestures on older laptops that didn't previously support them, including two-finger scrolling, and three-finger click. What's more, while the drivers themselves come from HP, they should work just fine on other laptops with a Synaptics trackpad. Hit up the link below to try it out for yourself.

Comment

2-finger scrolling is all fine and dandy, if your touchpad is not deliberately crippled. My Core 2 Duo laptop's Synaptics touchpad has fewer capabilities than the touchpads on some old Athlon XP-M (Thunderbird) laptops I have lying around!

To get 2-finger scrolling on such touchpads, somebody needs to figure out how this magic driver enables multi-finger on old touchpads:
          Haven't updated your laptop's trackpad driver lately? Then you may well want to consider doing so, at least if your laptop is equipped with a Synaptics trackpad. As a user on the Hardware Zone forums discovered, the latest Synaptics driver seems to enable multitouch gestures on older laptops that didn't previously support them, including two-finger scrolling, and three-finger click. What's more, while the drivers themselves come from HP, they should work just fine on other laptops with a Synaptics trackpad. Hit up the link below to try it out for yourself.

I tried to post this once before, hours ago.... and it never showed up.
          EDIT: Good, this time it showed up immediately.

EDIT: Also, perhaps a better word for what I'd want is "fine scrolling", instead of "smooth scrolling". The latter implies lag due to smoothing algorithms; the former implies improving the resolution of scrolling. Which one is intended here?
          (Right now, both Windows and Linux on my laptop scroll line-by-line, not pixel-by-pixel.)
          Last edited by DanaG; 10 June 2011, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanaG View Post
            2-finger scrolling is all fine and dandy, if your touchpad is not deliberately crippled. My Core 2 Duo laptop's Synaptics touchpad has fewer capabilities than the touchpads on some old Athlon XP-M (Thunderbird) laptops I have lying around!

To get 2-finger scrolling on such touchpads, somebody needs to figure out how this magic driver enables multi-finger on old touchpads:

I tried to post this once before, hours ago.... and it never showed up.
            EDIT: Good, this time it showed up immediately.

EDIT: Also, perhaps a better word for what I'd want is "fine scrolling", instead of "smooth scrolling". The latter implies lag due to smoothing algorithms; the former implies improving the resolution of scrolling. Which one is intended here?
            (Right now, both Windows and Linux on my laptop scroll line-by-line, not pixel-by-pixel.)
            On Windows, run the TwoFingerScroll mod and follow the instructions (i.e. disable two-finger scrolling from synaptics and enable it in the app you downloaded; set scrolling to 'smart mode'). This will get you pixel-by-pixel scrolling on applications that support high-resolution scroll events (e.g. Google Chrome, Microsoft Office and many more).

On Linux, we'll have to wait until the end of the year for official support in X.

Comment

Smooth scrolling is very nice on the Macs. Looking forward to having it on Linux too !

Comment

Very nice, were it not for the fact that KDE already has smooth momentum scrolling...

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
                  Nice to see google contributing back to linux... Seeing as they have 2 major linux OS's their code contribution back can seem underwhelming. Sorry if I'm unaware of some uber google code that's responsible for linux being so cool.
                  Im fairly sure they work very closely with bug reporting and discussion and help for android and chrome kernels, especially on the speed side im guessing..

also there is google-code free hosting and gsoc grants... which relates to linuxy opensource things quite often!

Google are certainly big contributes in my book! :-p

Comment

Working...
                  X