Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Details On The Desura Linux Client

Phoronix: More Details On The Desura Linux Client

A number of days ago we showed the first screenshot of Desura running natively on Linux. Now there's more details about the state of the Linux implementation of this Steam-like client for digital games distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think I'll ditch valve seeing as how they have dismissed the linux community - at least for a while.

Comment

Sadly this won't be very useful unless they manage to get some deals with some of the big publishers.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        Sadly this won't be very useful unless they manage to get some deals with some of the big publishers.
        Yup it will be a delivery system without any real content to deliver.

Comment

What problems is desura actually solving?
          In my experience, the biggest hurdle is bugs. (Takinb the humble bundles and some open source games into account).

Noone making games seem to know how to handle full screen. They all just fuck around with X, changing the screen resolution in all kinds of ways. This will almost always fuck up dual screen setups, or cause other headaches such as crashing and leaving the screen(s) in a messed up state, or steal the mouse/keyboard, preventing you tabbing out without quitting (fuck you Aquaria).
          This is a good read

Or they just have some general bugs, segfaulting here and there.
          But if there is one thing i haven't had much problems with, its the download and installation (even though every single game have had their own method).

Comment

Originally posted by Micket View Post
            What problems is desura actually solving?
            It solving nothing really, it is a solution to a non existent problem.

Comment

What it's solving is simple: distribution. If you want to very easily distribute a game on Windows or Mac? You throw it up on steam or the Mac App store. If you want to do the same for Linux? Tough shit. You have to deal with collecting money, providing downloads, etc, etc. For many indies this can be one of the worst parts of making a game on Linux.

So yes, it does solve a problem. Distribution.

Comment

No, not really. My distro has a perfectly capable package manager, I'm not installing another just to get a game. I'll bet many linux users think the same.

If we didn't, it'd be just like Windows with dozens of apps starting and checking for updates on boot.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                  No, not really. My distro has a perfectly capable package manager, I'm not installing another just to get a game. I'll bet many linux users think the same.
                  Do package managers have the ability to handle payments, track purchases etc.. ? I was under the impression that was the issue here.
                  Test signature

Comment

I am fairly sure that Ubuntu Software Center is capable of handling payments and has a "Games" section.

Comment

Working...
                    X