The AMD R600 Gallium3D Driver Is Becoming Quite Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by elanthis View Post
    The power management thing is pretty interesting. On my home desktop's HD 4770, everything ran fine on Linux. I just put in an HD 6870 (damn those things are huge, literally has millimeters to spare in my micro-atx case) and the FOSS drivers made it sound like a small freight train. I take it Northern Islands is still lagging a bit in the bare basics of hardware support.
    elanthis, did you set a power profile or were you running at default ? The NI code is certainly newer and less tested/tweaked but my impression was that power profiles should work.
    Last edited by bridgman; 08 June 2011, 06:12 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      It's kinda like how wine works: app "foo" runs fine with wine x.y.z, but with wine x.y.z+1, app "bar" runs fine but "foo" is broken. So you either `make install' a different version of wine each time you want to run one of the different apps, or you just give up and say, eh, too many regressions for me, goodbye.
      Isn't it possible to run WINE if you install into different prefixes? --prefix=/usr and --prefix=/usr/local?

Comment

PlayOnLinux allows you to install multiple WINE versions in parallel and assign them to any game(each of which is also installed in separate wine profile)

Comment

How to slect the driver?

Hi

I'd like to test drive this a bit. If I update a *buntu install to the development 10.10 branch ... will Gallium3D be picked up immediately? Or do you need to some how select it?

(it seems like Gentoo has a tool to select traditional Mesa or G3D)

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
            The power management is handled by kernel, nothing to do with Gallium3D.

Just to know, what is your GPU and MEMORY timing while in 'low' mode ? And voltage ?
            Because, in my case (RV770), 'low' mode freeze my system. I want to know if there is a real difference between 'low' and 'mid'.
            Tell me how to read the values and I'll post them (Radeon 5870 here)

David

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
              It's kinda like how wine works: app "foo" runs fine with wine x.y.z, but with wine x.y.z+1, app "bar" runs fine but "foo" is broken. So you either `make install' a different version of wine each time you want to run one of the different apps, or you just give up and say, eh, too many regressions for me, goodbye.
              Just FYI, you can have multiple installations of wine. Just point your scripts/commandline to the wine in its source directory e.g ~/src/wine-1.3.21/wine <program.exe>

If you don't want the source files, just find out if your distro has a method for installing without actually "installing" (like checkinstall for .deb based systems or "emerge --buildpkgonly" with gentoo). Then just extract the package in a directory of your choice and follow the same process mentioned earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
                Tell me how to read the values and I'll post them (Radeon 5870 here)

David
                OK, replying to myself, found it (debugfs FTW)

high:
                GPU: 699Mhz
                Memory: 1000Mhz
                Voltage: 1050mV

mid:
                GPU: 199Mhz
                Voltage: 900mV

low:

So, for me, low and mid are the same atm. That said, I'm on evergreen, so YMMV.

Comment

That info still isn't in /sys? Damn, one should not need a debug option to access it. It's just like other system info.

Comment

Just a quick question:

RadeonFeature say's that pm is dependant on having the correct tables in the vbios. I'm just wondering if these tables are really dependable (note tha absence of a low state on my card) and if they're not, if there is a method to tweak the card's voltage/memory clock etc to improve things.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Dwarf View Post
                      OK, replying to myself, found it (debugfs FTW)

high:
                      GPU: 699Mhz
                      Voltage: 1050mV

mid:

low:

So, for me, low and mid are the same atm. That said, I'm on evergreen, so YMMV.
                      the modes also depend on how many screens are attached to the card. (you will probably get higher frequencies in "low"-mode with a second screen attached)

Comment

Working...
                      X