Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radeon do not dedect dvi->vga adapter

Default radeon do not dedect dvi->vga adapter

hi i do have an hd5670 without an VGA port.

but i do have an VGA monitor.

but if i try to install kubuntu 11.04 the install fail because the radeon driver only work on an DVI monitor and not with an VGA monitor...

why?

Quote Originally Posted by Qaridarium View Post
    hi i do have an hd5670 without an VGA port.

but i do have an VGA monitor.

but if i try to install kubuntu 11.04 the install fail because the radeon driver only work on an DVI monitor and not with an VGA monitor...

why?
    More information please. Guessing that you have a DVI-I connector on the card ? Are you using a DVI-A to VGA cable or did the card come with a DVI-to-VGA adapter and you are plugging the VGA cable into that adapter ?

Is there a reason you think the driver doesn't work with VGA (eg card works with VGA and different driver) ?

Quote Originally Posted by bridgman View Post
    More information please. Guessing that you have a DVI-I connector on the card ? Are you using a DVI-A to VGA cable or did the card come with a DVI-to-VGA adapter and you are plugging the VGA cable into that adapter ?

Is there a reason you think the driver doesn't work with VGA (eg card works with VGA and different driver) ?
    my card do have hdmi+dvi+display-port but no VGA port.

now i use an mechanic dvi->vga adapter :

a adapter like that one.

"or did the card come with a DVI-to-VGA adapter and you are plugging the VGA cable into that adapter ? "

yes thats the way i go. i do have tons of this kind adapters here. every card come with 1 of these adapters.

"Is there a reason you think the driver doesn't work with VGA (eg card works with VGA and different driver) ?"

last time i check this it works with vesa and fglrx...

The driver supports DVI to VGA adapters just fine. File a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg output.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    The driver supports DVI to VGA adapters just fine. File a bug (https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg output.
    i rerest it first.. but in my past the radeon also do not support hdmi->dvi adapter and dvi->hdmi cable.

i always need to fight hard against my hardware configurations.

I assure you that they are supported. DVI to VGA, DVI to HDMI, DP to DVI, DP to HDMI, etc. If you are having a problem, please file a bug so we can fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by agd5f View Post
    I assure you that they are supported. DVI to VGA, DVI to HDMI, DP to DVI, DP to HDMI, etc. If you are having a problem, please file a bug so we can fix it.
    sure . but supported do not mean bugfree.

on my main system i switch from dvi port on the tft to the hdmi port just because my adapters do not work.
    now nativ hdmi work.

maybe its a old problem i need to test this again. with the other system my hd4650 with a nativ vga port work with my old tft monitor and the hd5670 pluget in with an adapter do not work.

but yes i test it again.

ok now i retest it with an differend usb stick... now it work...

means its the broken flash-usb thats make the problems.

dvi->agp works now.

ok thx and sorry for my wasted bugreport here.

For future diagnostics.... the easiest way to identify the most probably source of the issue is the POST TEST. If the monitor lights up on POST, the hardware supports the adapter. If not, then there could be some hardware glitch (like mine -- does not post on DP-->DVI adapter, but due to the superiority of open source, even defective hardware can be made to light up -- with some help from Alex and a really nice hack).

Quote Originally Posted by droidhacker View Post
    For future diagnostics.... the easiest way to identify the most probably source of the issue is the POST TEST. If the monitor lights up on POST, the hardware supports the adapter. If not, then there could be some hardware glitch (like mine -- does not post on DP-->DVI adapter, but due to the superiority of open source, even defective hardware can be made to light up -- with some help from Alex and a really nice hack).
    POST TEST=bios post on startup? ok.. thx..