AMD/Nvidia supported cards list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD/Nvidia supported cards list

I'm creating a live linux system that would be booted from an USB stick and I have already done most of it, however I have a problem making X run properly on all systems. I want X to start using proprietary drivers from AMD or Nvidia when they support the card. To do that I have created a script that scans PCI devices against a list of cards supported by the two drivers, however I need a full list of pci ids the drivers support. Anyone knows where to get it?

For the AMD fglrx you can parse modinfo of the fglrx module to get the PCI IDs.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I basically have already solved what you are wanting to do. Kanotix Thorhammer can use nvidia / fglrx options and selects automatically the right driver. Also you could place the install packages on cd/usb stick so it would not require internet access. Of course Kanotix can boot of USB if you do it right. The thing is that for complete support of NV hardware you need 3 drivers and for ATI you need 2 (or 3/4 if you want to support DX8 cards with Xorg 7.1.1 or older). Basically I work differently for both as I use a backlist for NV and a whitelist for ATI. You can expect that NV's latest drivers support all new chips and only have to check which cards are NOT supported or require a legacy driver. ATI otherwise does not add new cards when they are out and since 8.41.7 they even began to remove pciids from their drivers which would work basically (like the Fire* chips). So this time you have to go with whitelists. Instead of parsing the kernel module you can use:

strings /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/fglrx_drv.so|awk '/^0x....$/{print tolower($1)}'|sed s/0x//|sort -u

Comment

Thank you both. I have obtained the list from fglrx with that command, and I found a page in nvidia driver docs that lists all pci ids, at least for driver 1.0.9639 and 100.14.19. Hoevever I'm still missing the ids for nvidia 1.0.7185, as these drivers don't ship with any html docs. Kano, you said you created a list of those old cards, so could you please point me to it? Also you said you use a blacklist for nvidia - that would of course break if you know nvidia also makes other devices with the same vendor id (like my motherboard).

Comment

Just test my distro or look into my scripts.

Comment

Check out this page for list of supported PCI ids for NVIDIA card:

Comment

Working...
            X