Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ubuntu Developer Portal Launches

Phoronix: The Ubuntu Developer Portal Launches

Canonical has launched a preview of the Ubuntu Developer Portal service. This is a self-serve web-based service where independent software vendors wishing to sell their software via the Ubuntu Software Center can be managed via a standard developer program...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Way to go ubuntu

This is great and exactly what linux needs: an easy way to make money out of it. And in the progress they make sure that software is packaged neatly for ubuntu.

I really hope the guys from unigine realise the potential and start selling their oilrush game in the USC.

Comment

C'mon, only "ISVs"? How about people who want to submit free software (both freedom and gratis)? The existing free software submission process is horrible. FOSS developers should be able to use this portal too.

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
        C'mon, only "ISVs"? How about people who want to submit free software (both freedom and gratis)? The existing free software submission process is horrible. FOSS developers should be able to use this portal too.
        I'm not sure how much difference this will make, as your application packaging (.deb) still needs to be made correctly & approved? Also, as it seems (from the video) like you can choose a license other than proprietary; I guess you can use it for free software too...?

Also, did you read: http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/freestable/ ?
        Last edited by JanC; 04 June 2011, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
          I'm not sure how much difference this will make, as your application packaging (.deb) still needs to be made correctly & approved? Also, as it seems (from the video) like you can choose a license other than proprietary; I guess you can use it for free software too...?

Also, did you read: http://developer.ubuntu.com/publish/freestable/ ?
          Yeah, I did read that -- and my app got stuck in the "review" stage for two years with no movement. No Ubuntu developer even bothered to reply to my post. So I gave up.

Was hoping the portal would help with that somehow, but since the portal is only open to "established ISVs" who are already Canonical partners, that description cannot possibly apply to a freelance developer who has never contributed a package to Ubuntu.

Comment

Since the steel storm folks are an "established ISV", I don't think that getting to be one is particularly difficult.

Comment

Guys...

This initial Ubuntu Developer Portal launch is limited to ISVs that already have an existing relationship with Canonical, but it will be rolled out en mass in the near future.
              Doesn't this mean that exactly freelance developers like you, allquitetoxic, should be able to submit their apps here easily in the near future?

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                Yeah, I did read that -- and my app got stuck in the "review" stage for two years with no movement. No Ubuntu developer even bothered to reply to my post. So I gave up.
                I doubt this procedure existed 2 years ago, so you're probably talking about something else...

And I don't see any open request from you at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-ap...ew-board/+bugs -- but maybe you don't use the name "allquixotic" on Launchpad?

(Oh, and if you want your software in the regular repositories, it's preferable to go through Debian of course.)

Comment

Working...
                X