Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Yes on Windows too Regedit asks for permission since the registry is admin (read= root) protected
    reading vs. writing as root ~ too completely different things, with 2 very different consequences. do you not understand that or something? yup, must be a windows-user ...

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Closed sourced buggy virus scanners? Or FireGL on Linux? Realy uncommon right?
    you think a driver is an application? wow. terribly bad example, that you continue to defend.

Yes at least on of us is honest
    correcting trolls, and highly false statements made by them, only fulfills (arguably) certain criteria of being a troll. you sir, are a complete troll.... you, much like energyman, earlier in your postings were also trying to sell FUD as fact. - and should be corrected on the pathetic non-sense that spews out of your mouths, like the verbal diarrhea that it is.. the only thing you have been honest about is being a troll...now, you are just pretending, and projecting that you've been nothing but honest. ~ how dishonest, with not only the forum, but probably more importantly, yourself.

I'm glad you noticed that I was summing up how stupid this thread has become So you noticed that I noticed, cool right? Maybe the next big thing would be you noticing that I noticed how you noticed that I noticed
    no cigar. what you are saying above, completely takes what i had said out of context, in a pathetic attempt to try to dodge looking stupid, and to not come across as being such a complete and utter duche bag.

Yeah whatever happened to: "an object or database file system that would replace the flat file system with a fully searchable object store" -Microsoft (1991)
    hook line and sinker ~ if you bought into Microsoft's little stories / marketing ploys, that's your own fault. one has to take what most big corporations peddle with atleast a grain of salt (if not a spoonful). it's not the first time microsoft has made grand claims, that either didn't materialize or were false to begin with. (you can insert Apple here too).

I don't play well with fools
    you're a fool, who's in no position to be accusing anyone of being anything, for even answering that question in the first place.

It is not? Where do they store the configurations then?
    a Database is not a 'large config file dump'. period. from a database you can do a large file dump - but they aren't the same thing... either choose your words wisely, actually know what your talking about, or simply shut up... imbecile. do you even know what a file dump is? it sounds like you don't.

Oh shit... That extention changes EVERYTHING! OH MY GAWD!
    you missed the point. do you actually know what Aqua is? i'm guessing not really. because if you did - you would probably realize, Aqua wouldn't be the best bet to take down the system, or cause it to 'fail' (not in the way of xorg or the windows registry anyway, which was my point) - you might screw up the way MacOSX looks, but without screwing around with more important configs in the system, the damage would be nil, and probably wouldn't cause the system to freeze/crash at all. - where as if you modified certain com.apple.XXX.plist your system could be chewed, not boobtable, etc.. (but VERY easily fixable).

but you're right, it doesn't change 'everything' - you were an idiot before you posted that, and your still an idiot now.
    Last edited by ninez; 15 July 2011, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• i agree deanjo. I much like the way MacOSX handles it's configuration files. very orgainsed, lots of failsafe's in place.

The linux /home thing is annoying to. it would be nice if it were organized a little better , but what can you do!

cheerz

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
        reading vs. writing as root ~ too completely different things, with 2 very different consequences. do you not understand that or something? yup, must be a windows-user ...
        Hey I'm sorry... I didn't knew you were autistic
        Now what I actually did there was saying that the reader should read the word admin as the word root, since it might not be obvious to *nix users how the NT privilage system works

you think a driver is an application? wow. terribly bad example, that you continue to defend.
        Since NT6.x, the 3D part of the graphics driver is treaded as an application in user space.

correcting trolls, and highly false statements made by them, only fulfills (arguably) certain criteria of being a troll. you sir, are a complete troll.... you, much like energyman, earlier in your postings were also trying to sell FUD as fact. - and should be corrected on the pathetic non-sense that spews out of your mouths, like the verbal diarrhea that it is.. the only thing you have been honest about is being a troll...now, you are just pretending, and projecting that you've been nothing but honest. ~ how dishonest, with not only the forum, but probably more importantly, yourself.
        I was actualy being sarcastic. Might want to learn about sarcasm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

no cigar. what you are saying above, completely takes what i had said out of context, in a pathetic attempt to try to dodge looking stupid, and to not come across as being such a complete and utter duche bag.
        It appears that you're taking this way to serious

hook line and sinker ~ if you bought into Microsoft's little stories / marketing ploys, that's your own fault. one has to take what most big corporations peddle with atleast a grain of salt (if not a spoonful). it's not the first time microsoft has made grand claims, that either didn't materialize or were false to begin with. (you can insert Apple here too).
        I was just stating the obvious. You were all like "OMG WTF! Meta data, who would have THOUGHT?!?!?!11111 one one eleven", but it's not realy that obvious since around the early 90's everybody focussed on that searchable FS. This started again with Windows Vista, which did not deliver. So no OS, including Mac OS X, can actualy search files as of yet.

Then you were all like "You bought into the Microsoft tactics ROFL", but the article from which I copied that FS discriptions actually was this one: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4....473899D7D.html

So I do happen to know what Microsoft does.

you're a fool, who's in no position to be accusing anyone of being anything, for even answering that question in the first place.
        Actually I'm just being entertained by your complete rage about nothing.

And then you're realy into the details, man. I mean who the hell cares if the implementation of a config system is a database or file based? The actual point was that any app, given enough privilages, can screw up the entire OS. No matter how you look at it. Your Mac isn't perfect. Linux and Windows isn't perfect. Hell... Computers aren't perfect.

My advice to you would be to relax, lean back in your chair, reduce your amount of coffee/energy drinks per day and actually trying to read what is behind the text, rather than raging on a combination of words

Comment

Hey I'm sorry... I didn't knew you were autistic
          Now what I actually did there was saying that the reader should read the word admin as the word root, since it might not be obvious to *nix users how the NT privilage system works
          ya, i misread that. i was distracted at the time... but the funny thing is, you seem to assume that because regedit requires admin privledges that you are protected, meanwhile, the vast majority of malware/viruses/etc easily circumvents micorosft's laughable attempts at security. it's like saying that because i have a lock on my door, people can't break into my house. pretty funny. lol.

EDIT: i would also appreciate, if you didn't use 'autistic' in a negative context, as one of my best friends daughters is autistic, and it's not only offensive, but also shows your own incredible ignorance... and on top of that, an autistic would be more likely to pick out a detail that someone not paying close attention would. they tend to be good at that, depending on the type of autism.

Since NT6.x, the 3D part of the graphics driver is treaded as an application in user space.
          the rest of your statement was talking about fireGL, and linux apps. it very much did not appear that you were discussing NT at all. it sounds like an after thought to me...lol

I was actualy being sarcastic. Might want to learn about sarcasm: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm
          sarcasm? 'i've never heard of that, thanks for sharing the link.' lol. it's funny how you interpret everything i say as being dead-serious, when half of the time, i am just mocking you, dumb ass. which isn't hard to do, because you make it so easy.

It appears that you're taking this way to serious

I was just stating the obvious. You were all like "OMG WTF! Meta data, who would have THOUGHT?!?!?!11111 one one eleven", but it's not realy that obvious since around the early 90's everybody focussed on that searchable FS. This started again with Windows Vista, which did not deliver. So no OS, including Mac OS X, can actualy search files as of yet.
          funny, how you put a link to sarcasm ~ when my comment quoted in question above was PURE sarcasm. ya dumb schmuck. please enlighten me more with all of your infinite knowledge and wisdom.

Then you were all like "You bought into the Microsoft tactics ROFL", but the article from which I copied that FS discriptions actually was this one: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/Q4....473899D7D.html

So I do happen to know what Microsoft does.
          yes, i have read that article, around the time it was published. you should share more, of your 'insider information'. lol. it's been amazing how much of a repository of information you are... it's legendary really.

Actually I'm just being entertained by your complete rage about nothing.
          i could insult you all day long, but that doesn't mean i am 'raging'. i may not bother with emoticons on every frickin sentence, but this has been mostly just funny to me. the sheer amount or stupidity, and dribble that flows out of your mouth ~ is priceless!

And then you're realy into the details, man. I mean who the hell cares if the implementation of a config system is a database or file based? The actual point was that any app, given enough privilages, can screw up the entire OS. No matter how you look at it. Your Mac isn't perfect. Linux and Windows isn't perfect. Hell... Computers aren't perfect.
          you might not be interested in OS and software design, but some people are. some technologies have advantages, some will have disadvantages depending on design and implementation. I mean you are on Phoronix right now, and you don't think people are interested in this kind of stuff? ~ could you be anymore short-sided and obtuse??? lol. People come to this site to find out about technology, they way graphical drivers are implemented, compiler technology, OS design, compositor design...So while you may not understand, or care, other people will be interested, and thus it's relevant, even if you think otherwise. Speicifically in Gnome the switch to gsettings/dconf deals with using a database over gconf just storing keys in folders ~ this has advantages, like less conxext-switches, reducing cpu-cycles and reading from disk. (that's one small example, that is actually relevant to your question).

hell, Deanjo ~ brought up his own perspective on a few of these points. (related to windows registry vs. linux config files vs. MacOSX). so why you would even ask that question seems pretty dumb.

..and again thanks for stating the obvious to me (on your last statement). i've said that repeatedly throughout this thread. while redundancy, can be good and appreciated ~ i'm already well aware of this fact (said it like 4-6 times already).

My advice to you would be to relax, lean back in your chair, reduce your amount of coffee/energy drinks per day and actually trying to read what is behind the text, rather than raging on a combination of words
          that's pretty funny, i don't drink energy drinks, no mor than a coffee a day, am almost always 'leaned back in my chair'... i can read fine thanks, what i see behind your text ~ a total fucking duche bag! lol.

i thought i should put those emoticons in, just in case you are confused about my actual emotion, instead of what you may be perceiving as 'rage' based on text alone. i hope that helps, dummy!

have a good day!
          Last edited by ninez; 16 July 2011, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• *munch-munch* Hmmmmm.... Popcorn... Tasty.

Oh right, FireGL and the registry combined have nothing to do with the registry... Right.

Then some relative has autism and it isn't funny... Well I was talking about you being funny. Indeed your relative isn't, unless he's as autistic as you are.

Then the rest of your content-lacking post can be summorized as "Vincent, you suck! I know everything that you are using as proof to back up your claims, even though that's not related.

I guess my reply to you would be "Fuck you!". There...

*munch-munch* Yummy!

Oh yeah there's something about me not knowing anything about operating systems and people who like that need Phoronix to understand Linux distro's and that I need to share some knowledge. OK, I will; I've read the latest edition of Operating System Design and Architecture (that university book that you buy for comp sci) about three times in a row now. I also have the OpenGL red book, but got bored when I stumbled upon voxels (Atomotive engine, google it) and Energy Redistributed Path Tracing papers. Triangles are boring so I put that book away back on the shelf. Also id Tech 6 is going to use voxel geometry streaming and Ray Tracing, according to John Carmack himself. But I bet that you knew that already...

Comment

• PS: could've also been atomontage, but there's nothing to download or compile, so after seeing the YouTube vids, I didn't return to the site much...

Comment

*munch-munch* Hmmmmm.... Popcorn... Tasty.
                if you think that this comment causes any emotional response from me, you'd be wrong, troll. the only purpose it serves it to show how much of an immature little shite you are.

Oh right, FireGL and the registry combined have nothing to do with the registry... Right.
                lol. if you had any brains, ViNCENT ~ you might want to have a look back at your own comments posted about FireGL;

linux can crash with buggy drivers (firegl)
                do you see anything there about FireGL + Windows Registry??? i don't.

you were talking about FireGL and linux, you dumb twat! you can try to twist things all you like. but you are a liar, troll and an obtuse little shite. you are such a little liar you cant even keep your own shit straight ~ you only spoke of vista and buggy drivers after the fact, making no relation between fireGL and the registry at all. how incredibly stupid of you to think i would fall for that.

Then some relative has autism and it isn't funny... Well I was talking about you being funny. Indeed your relative isn't, unless he's as autistic as you are.
                Well, at this point - i think i'll take autistic as a compliment then, because i have to consider, that depending on the type of autism i 'may' have in your eyes, it might have it's advantages, especially being as i am self-aware, and can socially interact ~ which is very rare for full-on autistics ... you can google Daniel Tammet, for more on the subject, although he is a rare case also being synesthetic. I would take being that any day of the week, over being a piece a SOB like you ..and if you had actually read what i said ~ i didn't say it was a relative but a friend's daughter. you're above comment is sooo ignorant on all fronts, but in the end, that is your own own problem, not mine.

Then the rest of your content-lacking post can be summorized as "Vincent, you suck! I know everything that you are using as proof to back up your claims, even though that's not related.
                go ahead and keep reflecting your own BS onto me. In reality, your whole last big rant didn't address nearly anything you were replying to from me, other than my first comment. I give you an A+ in avoidance... most of them dodged the subjects all together, or were twisted in context in a failed attempt to make yourself appear 'cool' or smart ~ which neither attribute could describe you, based on all of your comments. futhermore, you have many instances where you have displayed, that in fact you didn't know what you were talking about and were trying to spread FUD, not only pointed out by msself, but others as well.

I guess my reply to you would be "Fuck you!". There...

*munch-munch* Yummy!
                LOL. Spoken like a true troll who has lost all footing, in his ridiculous arguments. oh no, little vincent is upset, now... LOL ~ go and cry somewhere else you unscrupulous, small-minded, ignorant, void of integrity, immature little piece of trash! lol. your head is so far buried up your own ass, i bet that popcorn that you are munching on, was the same popcorn you were eating yesterday. lol.

I hope that popcorn is tasting good

Oh yeah there's something about me not knowing anything about operating systems and people who like that need Phoronix to understand Linux distro's and that I need to share some knowledge. OK, I will; I've read the latest edition of Operating System Design and Architecture (that university book that you buy for comp sci) about three times in a row now. I also have the OpenGL red book, but got bored when I stumbled upon voxels (Atomotive engine, google it) and Energy Redistributed Path Tracing papers. Triangles are boring so I put that book away back on the shelf. Also id Tech 6 is going to use voxel geometry streaming and Ray Tracing, according to John Carmack himself. But I bet that you knew that already...
                who said anything about users 'needing' phoronix for that? you have more holes in your perception and equally your comments ~ more holes than a swiss-cheese factory's entire cheese supply. What i said is that many phoronix readers are 'interested' in this kind of stuff... Interested does not equal a 'need'... you are ridiculous. do you have brain damage or something? i'm starting to feel sorry for you again, i didn't realize that i might 'actually' be picking on a troll with a severe mental handycap, such as brain-damage ~ i apologize if this is the case! while i do think it is 'possible' that you have read all of these books that you suggest ~ based on other things you have said that were false or simply not accurate, i personally don't really see that likely being the case.

are you referring to the 'Atomontage Engine' ? yes, i have heard of it, if so. the other part is on the Monte Carlo stuff, correct? admittedly, not necessarily a real interest of mine, although, i can certainly appreciate what technologies like this provide. I have used AutoDesk Maya, and tools like luxrender (yes, i realize it's not the same technology, it's just an example) ~ but haven't studied the underlying technology at great length... furthermore, i have never claimed once, that i am an expert on these graphic related technologies. So i see no need to have some ridiculous pissing contest about them. but i have to assume if you can even get the name of the engine right, you probably aren't an expert, either - and are more likely just googling.

EDIT: i see after posting my comments you have tried to correct yourself on 'atomotive' vs. 'atomontage' ~ yup, you don't know much about it at all.

have a very nice day, V!GNORANT.

i know i will..
                Last edited by ninez; 16 July 2011, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Oh I know that OS book. Good book, though I don't know what edition they're up to these days. I also enjoyed "Computer Architecture: a Quantitative Approach", though that belongs more to computer systems engineering.
                  Ray tracing designs have mostly faded away now - the silicon real estate for triangle rasterisation is simply much smaller and more power efficient. With the mobile gaming markets being the current hotspot, the power efficiency is the name of the game.
                  The voxel stuff was interesting from Carmack, but I think it was mostly as R&D for him - not sure if he's convinced that it's going to pan out properly. Sparse voxel octree was the name he was giving it I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                    Oh I know that OS book. Good book, though I don't know what edition they're up to these days. I also enjoyed "Computer Architecture: a Quantitative Approach", though that belongs more to computer systems engineering.
                    Ray tracing designs have mostly faded away now - the silicon real estate for triangle rasterisation is simply much smaller and more power efficient. With the mobile gaming markets being the current hotspot, the power efficiency is the name of the game.
                    The voxel stuff was interesting from Carmack, but I think it was mostly as R&D for him - not sure if he's convinced that it's going to pan out properly. Sparse voxel octree was the name he was giving it I think.
                    Heh, that Operating System Design and Architecture book has been around forever.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                      The latest one came around after Vista was released, because NT6.x is in it as well.

There four things I have to say about that:
                      -New research keeps going, ERPT combines Monte Carlo with Metropolis Light Transport (so it's fully perfect) and creates good visible frames much faster. There are ofcourse some artifacts in the first few updates, but filters can fix that. There are papers on that too. Research is actually going crazy still.
                      -Atomontage engine shows that you can use voxels on GPU's by converting them to triangles first. This is real-time.
                      -Intel research shows that because of the lower screen estate, you can get ray tracing there more easily because of fewer pixels that are not realy that awefull on small screens.
                      -Shaders units.

John Carmack is realy smart, yet all his tricks rely on the same principle; the trick is in the eye of the beholder. For example side scrolling wasn't possible on PC's because it didn't have the power to update all the pixels, so with Commander Keen he proved that it was possible to only update the pixels that you need to see. With Wolf3D all the way to the Megatexture. He eliminates calculations rather than speed up algorithms and code. Like with lossy audio codecs; strip away what can't be heared/seen easily, or at all.

With ray tracing his trick is indeed culling. Very smart culling like with sparse voxel octrees; reduce geometry to the amount of voxels that matches the amount of pixels that it takes up on the screen. That way you get perfect geometry everywhere, but with the speed of the Wolfenstein3D engine path tracing, but then in 3D.

This is possible with the megatexture technique. His megatexture uses pixels for textures. Voxels are 3D pixels, so he applies that kind of streaming to get awesome image quality, detail and diversity, while limiting the amount of traceable rays.

Then he creates an information tree structure of all the bounces. Probably while doing that he'll stream the colors of all the pixels from the HDD directly to grahics RAM, but that is not certain (my own speculation). Stage two (not speculation) is having shaders 'blit' the colors according to the tree and blend them. This will not be done by the CPU, therefore the CPU can update the world, calculate physics (Carmack lols at GPU shader physics calculations according interviews) and the process starts all over again.

Carmack his trick is not in speeding up the voxel data search while searching data, but reducing the amount of voxel data by streaming in the first place. Then he can create the tree and find colors at breakneck speeds.

The only way that the HDD speed can keep up (or rather the other way around) is by having multiple compressed files, that stream compressed to the CPU RAM, decompress there and at some point be recompressed (if texture/geometry tiles change) and send back to the HDD to be stored.

Given the time it will take for id Tech 6 to finnisch (judged by the time all his previous work took), hardware will be great enough to leverage good looking Monte Carlo calculations and unlimited detail at 30-60fps.

Comment

Working...
                      X