No announcement yet.

Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On OS X, the trashcan can't be emptied if the files are in use. For example, mounting a 4GB dmg image, moving it to the trash can and trying to empty it will result in an error message that it won't delete because it's in use. If you unmount it, then you can delete it.

Comment

• Originally posted by RealNC View Post
      On OS X, the trashcan can't be emptied if the files are in use. For example, mounting a 4GB dmg image, moving it to the trash can and trying to empty it will result in an error message that it won't delete because it's in use. If you unmount it, then you can delete it.
      Actually moving a dmg image to the trash will unmount the image unless you have something like an installer app that is on that dmg that is open. That is not the only reason however why you may not be able to empty the trash. Like in pretty much any OS changing the permissions or ownership of the file while it is in the trash is also another reason why you may not be able to remove the data with a regular user account. For all intense purposes Trash behaviour in OS X and linux are identical. You will find accounts where people cannot empty trash as well in KDE/Gnome and the solution to removing those files are the same there.

Comment

• oh wow, the Apple-fonboi brigade is out in full force insulting everybody who is just telling the truth.

I congratulate you guys for reaching new lows with every posting.

If you can not delete files - with the right permissions, after shutting down everything and MACOS is not even telling you WHY, the system is broken.

If a simple office suit can completely lock up your system - and if you google for beachballed you will find many more examples - the system is broken.

Not drivers who run in kernel space, user space apps locking up the box. Which says a lot about the awesome architecture of MACOSX.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
          oh wow, the Apple-fonboi brigade is out in full force insulting everybody who is just telling the truth.

If you can not delete files - with the right permissions, after shutting down everything and MACOS is not even telling you WHY, the system is broken.
          So I guess linux is broken too since the same thing can be done there. And like I said before if rm doesn't remove it there is a hardware problem.

If a simple office suit can completely lock up your system - and if you google for beachballed you will find many more examples - the system is broken.
          Same thing can and has been done with oOO in linux by doing the exact same thing of adding a picture to a oOO document, there for linux must be broken by design as well.

Not drivers who run in kernel space, user space apps locking up the box. Which says a lot about the awesome architecture of MACOSX.
          Again the same thing can happen in linux there for linux must be broken as well.

Comment

• It is still absurd

Originally posted by devius View Post
            Nah... there is freedom of speech here fortunately. Anyone can say what they want about the software they like/dislike.
            I didn't attack or comment on "freedom of speech" or likes/dislikes. I neither argue whether people likes or dislikes something, as taste is mostly irrational and arguing about it doesn't make any sense at all. Conversely, I've posted about the ridiculous title of this thread and the absurd nature of it as there is no support for the claims purported in that title nor finite resolution for the pseudo-issue whatsoever.

PS:// Have a second thought on freedom of speech! It leans toward political or informative discourse. That's why there's no constitutional amendment in any country to forbid libraries from keeping their users in silence, even forcing them to be polite and quiet when discussing or trying to make their way around...

Thanks for replying.

Comment

• Originally posted by energyman View Post
              oh wow, the Apple-fonboi brigade is out in full force insulting everybody who is just telling the truth.
              it's been shown by multiple people, time after time that many of your 'truths' are either false, lies, fud or outdated information that isn't even relevent, anymore sometimes by a factor of 5years or more. you are ridiculous...

you should be congradulating yourself for that, not us. it's not our fault that you don't know what you are talking about, insist that you do and choose to keep it going. it's not our fault that you refuse to take any advice from many people who seem to know a lot more than you do.

you are doing something wrong, this is sooo obviously human error, not your Mac.... i intentially put files in my trash (today in Snow Leopard) that didn't have proper permissions, and also locked a few files for fun. i was able to delete them NO PROBLEM. you obviously don't know how to problem solve, or use your computer propoerly, or even use google.

1. Have you checked to see if "Empty Trash securely" is checked on the Advanced tab of the Finder preferences?

2. after that you should find the option to empty the trash, even for files that 'wont delete'. (no commandline invloved at all!)

it is like in Gnome/Nautilus how you can bypass keeping crap in the trash. very similar.

1st. if you google the equivalant (hour-glass) for windows, you get a slew of results. if you start looking through various distro forums, you will find the same thing. this isn't Mac exclusive. hell it happens on Blackberry too...furthermore i have personally seen this in windows and linux...

this is another example of you trying to spread FUD. you want to sit here and pretend that Mac's have more problems that anyone else. but you are ill-informed and clearly don't know what you are talking about. it's plain as day.... but Computers are not perfect, regardless of OS.

2. Office - are you stuck on repeat??!?! what is broken here is you (or your brain), you keep repeating yourself like a broken record... do you really think by repeating the same moronic ramblings, over and over again it will make your false assertians true and correct in the eyes of others??? more and more my 'Creationist' trying to dispell 'evolution' analogy is really starting to fit. I hate to repeat myself over and over - BUT THIS HAPPENS IN WINDOWS TOO!!! WIN2k, WINXP, VISTA and WIN7. - i have seen this MANY MANY TIMES. i maintain MS networks EVERYDAY! and have for years - i am a Microsoft Certified IT Professional - what this means is I have genuine Certifications from Mircosoft (both school, repeated re-training/updating and years of experience - as i work in the field, and have for years - i see Windows screw up all the time, for the same kind of crap - you are trying to convince us this is a 'mac-only' flawed by design type-thing. but in fact - you are WRONG! period.

YOU DONT KNOW JACK-SHIT!

Windows can crash with a buggy application. - if you think this is a false statement clearly, you don't even know Windows very well. on any OS it is possible for a buggy application to crash the system. you have even brought up an example in previous posts - referring to adobe malware, in the malware's case it is designed to do that - that is a clear example of user-space apps locking up the box and similar situation can happen on ANY platform, linux, windows, MacOSX, etc.. in the case of a buggy application it is unintentially coded to do that, most commonly a crash like this is caused by execution of a single machine instruction, but there are many causes as well.

you may think otherwise - that's fine. you can live in denial of facts, all you like. if being ignorant of the truth is your favorite past-time / or way to approach life. that is your own loss. i feel sorry for you.
              Last edited by ninez; 09 July 2011, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by code933k View Post
                nor finite resolution for the pseudo-issue[/U] whatsoever..
                actually energyman has been offered solutions to his pseudo-issue, but refuses to listen. this is probably because he doesn't actually own a mac, and is just here to cause trouble.

Comment

• PC...

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Typical microsoftie winfaq. PC ≠ Windows. My PC runs Linux, he can go shoot himself or something.
                  I never understood, when they claimed the patent for that

Comment

• Originally posted by ninez View Post
                    Windows can crash with a buggy application. - if you think this is a false statement clearly, you don't even know Windows very well.
                    If you are talking about XP, sure, but in Vista and 7 when an application crashes, it doesn't take the entire machine with it and little if any data is lost (depending on the application you were using), unlike Linux where X is often taken down from half-baked cowboy code and you lose whatever you were working on.

That's progress!

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                      If you are talking about XP, sure, but in Vista and 7 when an application crashes, it doesn't take the entire machine with it and little if any data is lost (depending on the application you were using), unlike Linux where X is often taken down from half-baked cowboy code and you lose whatever you were working on.

That's progress!
                      erm, i've seen vista crash many many times, the whole damn system, including data loss. you are partly correct though 7 isn't bad (compared to XP) - but i've crashed 7 on more than one occasion, i've seen it crash at work at least a dozen times and i've also had friends who have crashed it (with losing data too)...

yup, read how many hits... that's right

About 24,600,000 results

have a read through the first 10 pages, if you like ~ and tell me an application never crashes windows... then if you want after that you can google 'win7 system crash + data loss'.

microsoft has improved the situation, but not that much.

as for X, yah it can be dopey ~ but i haven't had my main desktop crash in well over a year, except for twice - but that was because of a bad merge in xserver that mainly affected 'Easystroke' users (which i am) ~ and was fixed in a day or two... and i use lots of applications that can potentially freeze/crash xserver (lots of RT-related applications and 3d software). i'm using Archlinux 64-bit, Nvidia 9800GT, AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black-Edition (quadcore) + 8gig DDR3 RAM. - works like a charm!
                      Last edited by ninez; 14 July 2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X