Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moron-proof interface

Am I the only one who noticed the remarkable similarity?
    And here goes the user:

Seriously, guys - this trend makes me really worried!
    Last edited by ?John?; 05 June 2011, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ?John? View Post

Seriously, guys - this trend makes me really worried!
      That actually reminds me of what our history teacher told us in the early nineties: Pointing-to-pictures is a lesser form of communication than language.
      So easy, a caveman could do it.

Comment

God bless America! Not only did they dumb down the English Language and then proceed to tell the rest of the English speaking world how correct they are, they're now doing it with the computer...

Oops excuse me. I'd better fix my fly; my politics is showing

...but seriously... It had some cool features, but my first reaction was that it reminded me of a magazine that is published in my home town where I cannot tell what is advertising and what is article.

I'm more interested in what KDE mobile is going to be like.

Comment

well, vincent the first thing my old 55+ father did when i show him the new windows 8 was freak out, since he didn't clearly watch the "icons and stuff" he interpreted that as win8 can't save files anymore and that M$$ is probably charging you for cloud storage.

after some clarification he freaked out even more asking from "i can't install software anymore?" to stuff like "where do i put my files now since there is no desktop?" passing through "and where i will put my pc magazines !!uber!!(i loled this one) software to do my test" to any kind of morbid question of basic OS use you can imagine.

for the power users could look cool or easy cuz you know what you want to do but for average joe is an alien "stuff" on their PC's wich they don't wanna touch cuz they think it could break "the mecanic stuff's inside" and break the "thingy"

i guess most eventually will accept it but i don't wanna imagine the hell this will bring to the support departments on stores and retailers

to prove my point winmo7 being supported from almost every phone manufacturer is still a niche market that no one wants and it seems M$$ is more focused on buy nokia than actually produce winmo7 phones or fight back android. my bet is they will try the apple way of making their own hardware and software very expensive for a small rich market .

on the market tablet, yeah .... maybe it get more chance cuz ppl don't see tablets like a "PC" but more like a fallen piece of the endeavor, so maybe they are more willing to adjust how to use "the latest tech marvel"

Comment

You clearly didn't see the video as there was a desktop tile, showing you the Windows 7 desktop...

Comment

Hmm

Personally, I think this could be a very effective strategy for Microsoft.

AS you could see, the Desktop Windows interface was available on the tablets, as well as the Tablet interface.

I would presume you could turn off the Tablet interface on Full Pc's.

The tablet seems to be a mix of the desktop and the mobile, and if Microsoft can provide all 3 (Desktop, Tablet and Mobile) devices to consumers, tied in with Windows Live services, and file/media sharing on the same network, it would be the perfect solution for home users, especially if you dont like apple.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                You clearly didn't see the video as there was a desktop tile, showing you the Windows 7 desktop...
                i saw it but my father couldn't understand it, he ask me "hey that is the virtualization stuff? why thereis 2 windows then?" etc.

note he didn't like the win7 desktop either but strangely he likes KDE so i put a dual boot in his pc trying to get him to the dark side and so far he love KDE (after many hours of questions but worth the effort ) and since linux don't need AV's he is jumping in 1 foot cuz he feels his PC very fast and love openoffice (mainly cuz he hates the office 2010 too complicated structure and he don't find anything on 2010 that he can't do in 2003 so OOo is a perfect fit)

btw he loves to death amarok 2.4, amazingly and against all prospects he find it extremely easy to use (i love it too btw KDEFanboy) and i finally get ride of the itunes nightmare every time he forget how to use it

dolphin got his heart too, he finds "ultra uber" the preview of pdf's odf's videos, etc + the ability of bookmark locations + the 1 click Blutooth functions in dophin for file transfers to the cellphone SD card

Comment

Very slick presentation, but looking at the actual funcionality, whats new? Fullscreen apps? Tiling window manager (snap)? Still I bet Microsoft has gotten patents for some of this age old functionality.

Obviously developed with a tablet in mind, and will likely be great for that use.

Comment

Dont understand why theyr moving from tried and tested to annoying bloated and probably buggy just to make it look cool

Comment

Originally posted by Iksf View Post
                      Dont understand why theyr moving from tried and tested to annoying bloated and probably buggy just to make it look cool
                      Well, what else are they going to do? Windows basically reached its peak with XP and then it did everything the average user wanted and there's nothing left but to try to make it more shiny and hope that encourages people to buy an upgrade.

People have seen these kind of UIs in movies and think they look cool, because they've never thought of the problems of doing anything with them in real life.

Comment

Working...
                      X