Linux and Mac are screwed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    This is the most easy to understand interface on the planet. And for tablets this interface is a big win.

Of course on your PC you will soon discover the desktop tile.

PS: In fact, this is probably the first moronproof interface. This is not what I expected from MS at all... In fact I think this interface is brilliant.
    In any way! I can only imagine how hard will be running few applications same time on this crap. I consider this is unbelievable PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by renkin View Post
      It seems all the "big players" are going for the mobilesque interface.. by big players, I mean GNOME and Microsoft..
      Gnome is far away from being big and with gnome shell it will be smaller and smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
        I consider this is unbelievable PITA.
        Hey we a agree!

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Hey we a agree!
          Yes! I hope we'll see a m$ failure on the smart phones and tablets market. It's very likely they'll fail.

Comment

If someone is screwed, then Apple.

Have you seen the iOS 5 and OS X Lion keynotes today? I really, really tried to stay objective, and even though I didn't plan to switch back from Android, I thought iOS 5 was going to be a major update. However, it turns out that OS X Lion and especially iOS 5 are a complete joke. Welcome to Android 1.6 (2009), Apple.

Comment

The key to magic tricks (or con jobs) is often to do them very fast, giving the audience (or victim) no time to think about what's really happening.

This is exactly what this microsoft guy is doing. He's swiping like an ADHD kid on steroids, leaving the V!NCENTs under us stunned. But if you pause a little bit and think about what he's doing, there's hardly any substance to it.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                The key to magic tricks (or con jobs) is often to do them very fast, giving the audience (or victim) no time to think about what's really happening.
                No you do not understand my point. It's about the interface, which I do think is genious. It's not that I will use it unless KDE makes me a shell. PS: And tablets with open bootloaders come along that I will buy.

This is exactly what this microsoft guy is doing. He's swiping like an ADHD kid on steroids, leaving the V!NCENTs under us stunned. But if you pause a little bit and think about what he's doing, there's hardly any substance to it.
                No it's you looking for excuses for your Microsoft hate. Don't worry; it's only basic psychology. If it was Windows 95's interface you'd be bitching about GUIs being shittier than bash prompts. That shit won't trick me.

I'm still using KDE whever I get the chance, but like with many things as soon as I think I had ditched Windows, something comes along that requires me to boot into it...
                Last edited by V!NCENT; 07 June 2011, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  I thought iOS 5 was going to be a major update. However, it turns out that OS X Lion and especially iOS 5 are a complete joke
                  I watched a quick video and couldn't find much difference from iOS 4. The only thing that stood out was twitter integration. What else is new?

Apple doesn't usually do dramatic changes to its products with each new release, but still they could at least change the background image...

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                    If it was Windows 95's interface you'd be bitching about GUIs being shittier than bash prompts.
                    Uh, no.

When Windows 95 came out, Unix users had been using GUIs at least as sophisticated on their workstations for years.

This is more like Compiz on crack. When Compiz first came out I enabled various 'cool' animation effects, but soon realised that they were just sucking up power that could be better used elsewhere and turned them off.

Comment

Originally posted by movieman View Post
                      Uh, no.

When Windows 95 came out, Unix users had been using GUIs at least as sophisticated on their workstations for years.

This is more like Compiz on crack. When Compiz first came out I enabled various 'cool' animation effects, but soon realised that they were just sucking up power that could be better used elsewhere and turned them off.
                      The point is the extreme simplicity of the interface.

Now you all start jumping around and screaming "OMG my PC will be worthless with these interfaces", while that's simply not true. Multitouch trackpads can be used as mouses (Apple sells them with their desktop computers instead of the mouse). Now you'll probably start screaming a lot harder "OMG trackpads?!", but considder Apple's three finger "Mission Control"-gesture. If anything fixes anything related to window management on touch based devices, it's this. I'll gradly hand over my mouse.

Here's the Mission Control thing from Mac OS X: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bG9l1l2cZ-E
                      PS: What lacks in this video is the ability to manage multiple workspaces from there as well, you can drag and drop a window into a different virtual desktop.

And no you can keep your damned mouse for other tasks, just like you can have a gamepad for your PC...
                      Last edited by V!NCENT; 08 June 2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X