Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux and Mac are screwed

Default Linux and Mac are screwed

I just saw the Windows 8 interface
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

I think it sucks. I don't want my computer to behave like a mobile phone.

Looks like a big smartphone OS.

Honestly only touch users/tablets are going to use that interface, even if it supports mouse/keyboard. And tablets are devices that are primarly used while sitting on the coach and watching TV, as recent studies have shown (maybe that's why I don't have one).

I guess you weren't serious with the thread title in the first place, but no, Linux and Mac are definitly not screwed because of that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by d2kx View Post
    Looks like a big smartphone OS.

Honestly only touch users/tablets are going to use that interface, even if it supports mouse/keyboard. And tablets are devices that are primarly used while sitting on the coach and watching TV, as recent studies have shown (maybe that's why I don't have one).

I guess you weren't serious with the thread title in the first place, but no, Linux and Mac are definitly not screwed because of that thing.
    Yeah, that stuff is only for touch related stuff, on a desktop one will quickly dump it.

Anyway, Michal said a day or 2 ago there would be some major announcement and a big win for open source, time is up.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    Haha wtf is this? In my opinion even gnome's hell is way better than this. Winphone 8 is screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by V!NCENT View Post
    I don't know how you figure Mac and Linux is screwed. If anything the interface (if it was the only interface, a traditional desktop is still part of Windows 8) would be enough for a shitload of users to switch to a OS that does offer a more traditional desktop.

My arm already hurts just from watching that. Do they also want to rename tennis elbow to win8 elbow?

There are some cool/interesting ideas there, but I'm not really sold on it even as a tablet interface (for which it's obviously optimized). I think they're taking a risk changing the overall experience that much when the main draw of Windows is the ability to natively run Windows apps, many of which will never be updated at all, let alone changed to conform to the new UI concept. A couple times in the video he says something like "because it's a PC...", but this interface arguably makes more sense for the ARM port.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
    "because it's a PC..."
    Typical microsoftie winfaq. PC ≠ Windows. My PC runs Linux, he can go shoot himself or something.

This is the most easy to understand interface on the planet. And for tablets this interface is a big win.

Of course on your PC you will soon discover the desktop tile.

PS: In fact, this is probably the first moronproof interface. This is not what I expected from MS at all... In fact I think this interface is brilliant.

Do note that I'm a big fan of KDE, so this isn't going to make my desktop!
    Last edited by V!NCENT; 06-04-2011 at 03:24 PM.