Clear All

• Originally posted by log0 View Post
    What browser and location are you?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• WARNING: Malware in ads!

Hi,

When I opened Phoronix this morning I was immediately redirected to a phising website (adobes.us) telling me to download a fake Flash player.
      I'm using Firefox 29 from Spain.

Thanks!

Comment

• I get complete redirects to this site or urls in this site:

I'm using Firefox 30 from The Netherlands.

Comment

• No Ads With Everything Disabled

So, I disabled AdBlock for phoronix.com, and I still don't see any ads!!! Some of the highlighted keywords have mini-pop-ups, but many, if not most, of them are blank. I even went so far as to disable AdBlock completely: no change.

Then I thought it might be my use of RequestPolicy and/or No Script; but, disabling those changed nothing.

Finally, I considered that the ads might be pop-ups, so I set Firefox to allow pop-ups; still, no ads!!?

Now, I'm okay with the idea of accomodating an ad-supported site that I frequent regularly, but I'm not going to shut down my web security (such that it is) if it has zero impact.

Am I missing something?

Comment

• The ads are horrible here. I think they have increased too. The double underline crap is gone on the main page but still present on the forums. I really see my self re enabling ad block here. I cant even get to the first page without having to hit reload a few times because of the slow add servers and pop ups on the front page. This site has way above average ads too as the cpu usage goes high when opening this site.

Comment

• The ads cause a horrible UX on an android phone, they cause the page to display a progress bar every 15-20s which scrolls to the top of the page. This seems to happen less on the forums than it used to, however.

Comment

• Also I just turned adblock off and remembered why I had to enable it for phoronix in the first place. Running Chromium Version 37.0.2062.120 (281580) (64-bit), pepperflash (from Arch AUR ) and no extensions at all, the browser hangs using 100% CPU on one core.

Comment

• Results of ad-enabled CPU usage test on Pentium 4 w/mint MATE live OS

just ran this test as promised on another thread:

On a slow wireless connection, ads failed to load on first try with a default Mint 32 bit MATE live disk on a 2.8 GHZ hyperthreaded Pentium 4. They loaded on a reload of the site, with the overlay ad in a dark theme for MITSloan predominant.

CPU usage varied from 12-50%, MITSloan ad did not display a close button or any obvious way to kill it, SUSE ad on left side was cool to have on a Linux site, as was "Enterprise file sharing" on right. Had to click elsewhere on site to clear the overlay, this could confuse users on non-adblocking systems

bandwidth to load the front page(twice) and click on 2 ass was 3.9 MB received and 777.1 KB sent.

Opening three tabs in the forums spiked CPU usage to almost 100%, it did not appear that any video was used in the ads-but this connection is too slow to stream video so that would not work anyway. It only took a 1.4 MB download to cause this CPU use spike. Additional CPU spikes to 100% took place when opening any new page in the foruns, though soon settled back down to about 12% on each of the two hyperthreaded virtual cores of this old Pentium 4.

Browser is default Firefox for Mint 16 except for disabling geolocation (which could expose my wifi modem), keyword, and prefetch. All typing in browser windows done in Pluma, then cut and pasted in case one or more ad networks used or cloned Scout Analytic's typing cadence fingerprinting system.

The older 2 GHZ pre-Prescott P4 would probably limit Phoronix to one open tab at a time

Comment

• Okay, so I visit this site on my Work PC (Windows 7, IE 10), my home PC (Windows 8.1, 10 Preview, Ubuntu all running Java 9, Flash 15 and beta versions of Chrome [note, Ubuntu not running beta flash and java]), my phone (BB10 Z30 which can also emulate Chrome version 24, and Android apps using the Android stock browser), and a ASUS MeMo Pad 7 (x86, Android 4.4, Chrome Beta). Edit: I also used to visit this on a Pentium 4 running Crunchbang 11 and Chromium for a browser. Never had any of these issues either.

I have never once got a redirect. The only thing I did get was the occasional banner because I really only log in when I post a comment, so you can't say I don't get it because I'm premium.

But if you really don't want ads and you really like reading stuff here then you could always get the premium thing.
                    Last edited by profoundWHALE; 02 October 2014, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                      Okay, so I visit this site on my Work PC (Windows 7, IE 10), my home PC (Windows 8.1, 10 Preview, Ubuntu all running Java 9, Flash 15 and beta versions of Chrome [note, Ubuntu not running beta flash and java]), my phone (BB10 Z30 which can also emulate Chrome version 24, and Android apps using the Android stock browser), and a ASUS MeMo Pad 7 (x86, Android 4.4, Chrome Beta). Edit: I also used to visit this on a Pentium 4 running Crunchbang 11 and Chromium for a browser. Never had any of these issues either.

I have never once got a redirect. The only thing I did get was the occasional banner because I really only log in when I post a comment, so you can't say I don't get it because I'm premium.

But if you really don't want ads and you really like reading stuff here then you could always get the premium thing.
                      I'm a long time reader of Phoronix, but relatively new registered user; however, I won't disable adblock. ever.

Nothing against Phoronix, but I refuse to open myself up to an ad that I, my co-workers, or boss find inappropriate, just so I can say that I indirectly support the website. Furthermore, I will not pay for an annual subscription of a website that mostly just removes ads. A single lifetime fee? Sure... but not a revolving subscription.

Comment

Working...
                      X