Advertisements On Phoronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SamsLembas View Post
    I must say, the prices are higher than I had anticipated. Still, I will probably end up getting one.

Any chances of a full-content RSS feed being one of the "future additions"? That would be one feature that would, in my mind, completely justify the high price. But perhaps it is impossible to limit the access to a RSS feed as would be required.
    It's actually cheaper than LWN and other places

We may introduce a full-content RSS feed for news. It would be rather hard to limit the RSS adoption, but if Phoronix Premium proves to work out we will likely adopt full news in the RSS.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm not speaking for anyone else. I'm just letting your know what is on one of your readers mind (namely me).

I am not tollerant at all of this pervasive new advertising method. What I am willing to tollerate are relevant banner advertisements with images hosted from the phoronix.com domain.

I like your content on the website, most especially your benchmarks and noveau updates. If I personally needed to resort to such advertisement methods I would sooner go offline. Of course you are not me, this statement is intended to further explain my position.

I'm going to subscribe to this thread. Your website is not going to be among my daily news anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by smack View Post
        pervasive new advertising method.
        What is this new pervasive new advertising method you're referring to?
        Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          What is this new pervasive new advertising method you're referring to?
          I should have specified. I was thinking about making a new thread but it seemed like my thread would have been close to this topic.

I consider replacing random words with "content links" as they're labeled to be pervasive and annoying. I also consider any type of flash advertisement to be annoying although not neccessarily pervasive.

Comment

Originally posted by smack View Post
            I should have specified. I was thinking about making a new thread but it seemed like my thread would have been close to this topic.

I consider replacing random words with "content links" as they're labeled to be pervasive and annoying. I also consider any type of flash advertisement to be annoying although not neccessarily pervasive.
            There are people who feel those embedded contextual advertisements are annoying, but you're literally the first person in over a month to complain about Kontera ContentLinks on Phoronix. These ads wouldn't be there if they weren't needed, but the fact of the matter is right now they are needed for the well being of this site's existence.

If you don't like those ads, you could always remove all ads by using a premium account: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=phoronix_premium

We do serve a few scare Flash advertisements, but that is simply the way the Internet advertising industry is turning to... We do have a strict policy about not serving any flashing or otherwise obtrusive Flash ads, and if one of our ad networks does serve one, we request its removal from the queue ASAP.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

Oh, my ad block must have been filtering out the contentlinks because I hadn't had one pop up on me on this website before.

Anyways.. I've said everything I've wanted to.

Comment

i am not a fan of this new advertising, but you do what you have to do.

first let me say i dont bother with ad blocking, if the ads are that obnoxious ill close the page and forget it.

i guess what i find strange is "Phoronix Premium: Ad-Free Browsing" one the home page, which is loaded with advertisements.

i dont know if you just use goolge adds or if you have control, but the first add is microsoft search. kinda sad for a linix site, but perhaps a freebie add since no one here would use that :P

i just hope your adds support free software. (microsoft should not be on that list)

matt

Comment

Bills need to be paid and right now Microsoft's advertisements are some of the highest paying ads, unfortunately.
                  Michael Larabel

Comment

lol - Microsoft taxes so many people who'd prefer not to use their stuff on PCs, it's about time we taxed them back

Comment

Originally posted by grantek View Post
                      lol - Microsoft taxes so many people who'd prefer not to use their stuff on PCs, it's about time we taxed them back
                      ... the plague

Comment

Working...
                      X