Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Yeah, I've already complained about it.
    You'd think they'd figure out what this site's about and tailor the ads a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by mattst88 View Post
      Good grief. I just opened the homepage and got blasted with a flash video ad that took over the bottom third of my screen, for... wait for it... Windows 7.

An autoplaying, popup, flash video ad for Windows 7.
      I have installed adblock for Chromium because of this one. I will disable it in one week.

Comment

Originally posted by RavFX View Post
        I have installed adblock for Chromium because of this one. I will disable it in one week.
        Yeah, this one is way over the top. Seriously, promoting Windows on this site?!?

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
          Yeah, this one is way over the top. Seriously, promoting Windows on this site?!?
          Thats nothing... I once saw Windows ads on linux.org

Comment

I'm told the video ads should now be gone.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I'm told the video ads should now be gone.
              Bloody hell, they're not completely gone, but less frequent... Already sent in more complaints.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Ad without 'close' option

There's one overlay ad that, at least on firefox (both 11.0 for android and 8.0 for desktop) displays no close button. Next time it happens I'll try and get a screenshot.

Comment

My ISP is now bandwidth capping me, so I won't be whitelisting any sites that use Flash ads, period.

Comment

Ads? What ads?

Okay, before I log in there are ads. Probably. But I use very generic methods of adblocking so it is possible that some are blocked out even before logging in.
                    The things is: I support websites that I like. Still, I am dearly short on money - probably as long as I will need to finish my Ph D work. It's about 840 Euros per month (this is maybe 1000 USD) but that is really not much considering prices here. I am officially considered to be "poor".
                    I understand the need for ads on websites to cover bandwidth and stuff, but I hate "intrusive ads". That means, ads that actively mess around, like popups, flash (!) (-> flashblock.mozdev.org is one of my first plugins I install on every Seamonkey/Mozilla) or something like that. A silent, non moving image that loads rather quickly is fine for me.
                    Also an option is buying stuff at places which a related to phoronix, but then this is probably working out only for US citizens.

When I am at University and using lunch break to read phoronix news on a computer that I am not /root on then I notice a lot of ads but sometimes I even click them. I don't know if that helps because I am never actually interested in these links (most often browser games) or I also don't have the time. Also on my fav. German places for IT / Linux news (heise.de and pro-linux.de) I support them by leaving the ads or buying magazines or having subscriptions.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Finally saw the broken ad again. I got a screencap *and* a full URL for the broken ad!

URL:

Image:

Comment

Working...
                      X