Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Quest For Decent, Low-Priced Server Cases & Racks/Cabinets

Default The Quest For Decent, Low-Priced Server Cases & Racks/Cabinets

Phoronix: The Quest For Decent, Low-Priced Server Cases & Racks/Cabinets

Here's another quick update on the process of building out the new open-source benchmarking server farm... The construction of the room is going along nicely and I'm currently evaluating a few different server chassis and racks/cabinets...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...erver-Building

I like the recessed lighting. Is it LED or CFL?

I can't tell what the part number is, but for CS4801H, it's $65 in Newegg. 2 80mm fans have less airflow and are going to be noisy, but I assume the noise will not be important in a server room?

I can't tell what the blue one is.

Great to see you've got a nice big room dedicated for this kind of stuff. I'm sure your wife will greatly appreciate it. Nice to see you're getting legitimate racks too - the old setup seemed a bit messy.

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    I like the recessed lighting. Is it LED or CFL?

I can't tell what the part number is, but for CS4801H, it's $65 in Newegg. 2 80mm fans have less airflow and are going to be noisy, but I assume the noise will not be important in a server room?

I can't tell what the blue one is.
    12 x 12 Watt LED BR30 bulbs light the room. Working out very well, in fact, might be too bright that I may need to install a dimmer switch.

There's a ~$50 Logisys case at NewEgg and then the $65 one, those are the two shown in the picture.

Some of these systems are low-power APU/i3 systems where I might not even bother with the extra case fans given the basement is fairly cool anyhow. We'll see, but noise isn't too very important.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    Great to see you've got a nice big room dedicated for this kind of stuff. I'm sure your wife will greatly appreciate it. Nice to see you're getting legitimate racks too - the old setup seemed a bit messy.
    Well already have my big main office room dedicated to my work. At least now the messy test farm is a small guest bedroom, so will be able to stop cluttering systems there.

If you don't buy rack cases with rails you will regret it, trust me.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    Know of any with rails at a decently affordable price? I haven't seen any.... :/

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    12 x 12 Watt LED BR30 bulbs light the room. Working out very well, in fact, might be too bright that I may need to install a dimmer switch.

There's a ~$50 Logisys case at NewEgg and then the $65 one, those are the two shown in the picture.

Some of these systems are low-power APU/i3 systems where I might not even bother with the extra case fans given the basement is fairly cool anyhow. We'll see, but noise isn't too very important.
    There are a couple of LED-/CFL-compatible dimmer switches at Home Depot. Or what about a [/url]light switch with occupancy sensor and dimmer capability[/url]?

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
    Or what about a [/url]light switch with occupancy sensor and dimmer capability[/url]?
    I don't think that would work out right when the light switch is in the stair well and not pointing towards the room, same reason I'm not using a motion sensor switch.

Oh, well that makes sense. I thought I can be of help saving a bit of electricity with the lights when you are not in the server room. So much for the strategically-placed light switch.