Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 3.0 Kernel Has Full Support For Xen

Phoronix: Linux 3.0 Kernel Has Full Support For Xen

Beyond the features of the Linux 3.0 kernel already talked about on Phoronix, there's another big milestone hit in this next kernel release beyond changing up the versioning scheme. The Linux 3.0 kernel will have full Dom0 and DomU support for Xen virtualization...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

well, at least one good technical reason for major version jump.

Comment

Good news.

Will it already be in rc2?

Comment

Care to explain what DomU and Dom0 is?

A lot of these "articles" reference things never mentioned before on Phoronix

The original blog can get away with it because it's directed to a technical audience that will know what these mean

Would appreciate it if you would target the lowest common denominator with your explanations, even if this means link click through hell

Also have you thought about creating a wiki that could collate these explinations, would make most of your graphics articles smaller as you wouldn't need to explain KMS, GEM, TTM and DRM each time and I'm sure many of your readers would love to keep it up to date

Comment

is this really good news? This is like incorporating changes to make linux run well in netbsd.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            Care to explain what DomU and Dom0 is?
            If I remember correctly, a Xen system is not managed by interacting with the host OS, but rather by interacting with the first guest OS to be started (strictly speaking the OS running on the first VM, I guess), which has special capabilities.

The "special" first VM and guest OS is called Dom0, while the other VMs and guest OSes are referred to as DomU. Something like that anyways...

EDIT - the "Oracle" link in the article explains in more detail.
            Last edited by bridgman; 03 June 2011, 08:56 AM.
            Test signature

Comment

A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!
              I waited this moment for years, no more forward ported patches and no more -xen kernels
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I'm confused. DomU support has been in the mainline Linux kernel for quite some time. Dom0 support has been in the mainline since 2.6.37 and the last remaining driver was put in 2.6.39.

What features did they add for 3.0?

Comment

Vax456,

While partial dom0 support was incorporated in .37, some major parts (PCI-backend drivers) were not.
                  As I understand it, if all goes well, 3.0 should be the first kernel to have full Xen support, end to end.

@News,
                  Now, if only nVidia would support Xen, or better yet, PCI-pass-through in Xen, I'll be happy man!

- Gilboa
                  oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                  oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                  oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                  Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Pci-back hasn't been merged yet.
                    Carbon60 is Canada’s preeminent cloud adoption, migration and managed cloud services provider. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, VMWare, SOC2 and PCI compliance.

Comment

Working...
                    X