No announcement yet.

Coreboot Finally Takes The Interest Of OEMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nobody knows whether MS will pull a 180 and start supporting it in win8, though.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
      Nobody knows whether MS will pull a 180 and start supporting it in win8, though.
      I highly doubt that they will. It would have shown itself already in the release builds and by the time it comes out uEFI will have become the "norm" on new systems and motherboards. It's a lot of effort to support a diminishing market. They are going to be more concerned about the OEM's that want to be able to slap a 3 TB+ drive into their new systems as a marketing feature.

Comment

Microsoft supported EFI since Vista. Is uEFI something different?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
          Microsoft supported EFI since Vista. Is uEFI something different?
          Strictly speaking, EFI is the old spec from Intel and UEFI is the new spec from the UEFI Forum, but it's fairly common for "EFI" to refer to both of them collectively.

Comment

So Q4 has almost ended yet there's been no news on the "OEM shipping coreboot on select motherboards" thing.

Pity, because I was looking forward to it...

Comment

I really hope it's still coming, my company is considering servers with coreboot support. And if someone supplies coreboot-boards with LGA2011 soon, then these would be considered for workstations as well.(but I believe Intel support is not great).

Comment

Working...
              X