Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Skype Protocol Was Reverse-Engineered

Phoronix: The Skype Protocol Was Reverse-Engineered

While many Linux users are upset that Microsoft's buying out Skype and that the Free Software Foundation's GNU Free Call hasn't matured much in being a reliable replacement to Skype (not all of the FSF projects move along), there is some interesting news this morning: an independent researcher has reverse-engineered the Skype protocol...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Glad to hear those news!

Comment

Awesome, hopefully this will mean that Skype for Pidgin can be used without Skype itself.

Comment

Eh, no mention of the guy's name?

Comment

this news rocks!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            Eh, no mention of the guy's (remark: or gal's) name?
            As far as I know the DCMA allows for reverse engineering for the purpose of establishing interoperability. But maybe I am wrong, an there are legal reasons for hiding her or his name.

Comment

And there I was, thinking M$ buying Skype is the perfect opportunity to start pushing SIP. Which is pretty open, afaik.

Comment

Originally posted by dgrafenhofer View Post
                As far as I know the DCMA allows for reverse engineering for the purpose of establishing interoperability. But maybe I am wrong, an there are legal reasons for hiding her or his name.
                Since it's mentioned in the source, would be common journalism to mention it:

Hello, I'am Efim Bushmanov a freelance researcher and here is my project files on skype research.

Comment

We can't rely on reverse engineering, Skype can break current protocols at anytime...

Comment

Originally posted by Scullder View Post
                    We can't rely on reverse engineering, Skype can break current protocols at anytime...
                    This is exactly what I was thinking. We have SIP and XMPP+Jingle for sending audio and video across the Internet in an open, decentralized, standardized way. Promoting vendor lock-in and proprietary protocols just inhibits the growth of open communications.

Comment

Working...
                    X