Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by glasen View Post
    Just my idea:

Point a web-cam to this device, do a little OCR magic and you have your numbers.

BTW Michael:

I just stumbled across a patch for (soon to arrive) version 2.6.39.1:

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Maybe this small patch solves the power regression.

I'm currently building a vanilla 2.6.39 kernel with this patch applied. Tomorrow i will compare it with a completely vanilla kernel. Maybe the power consumption is significantly lower with this patch.
    THIS!

10letters.

Comment

Originally posted by glasen View Post
      I just stumbled across a patch for (soon to arrive) version 2.6.39.1:

gmane.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, gmane.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Maybe this small patch solves the power regression.

I'm currently building a vanilla 2.6.39 kernel with this patch applied. Tomorrow i will compare it with a completely vanilla kernel. Maybe the power consumption is significantly lower with this patch.
      Nice find. Did it help?

Comment

Just a layman observation: the first power regression coincides with the start of ATI KMS power management (2.6.35), so could it be that the default power settings in KMS are even less aggressive than when PM was handled by the xorg driver? This would also explain the fact that not everybody has been able to replicate the regression.

On a side note, if linux (kernel/distros) would like to be more "environmental friendly", they would set all default power management settings (CPU/GPU) to the most economic ones. I have had more than enough computing power for my needs for the last decade, if I need more I can always change the settings to more powerful ones. As a laptop owner, I have to change now all settings in order to get more battery life and a cooler computer.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
          Nice find. Did it help?

I had the power issue big time with my battery and this ABSOLUTELY solved my problems. I installed the 2.6.39.1 kernel about 3 hours ago and if my fan has come on I haven't heard it. My temps have fallen drastically. I simply couldn't be more pleased. I really thank the one who posted this link.

Robin

Comment

Originally posted by z06gal View Post
            I had the power issue big time with my battery and this ABSOLUTELY solved my problems. I installed the 2.6.39.1 kernel about 3 hours ago and if my fan has come on I haven't heard it. My temps have fallen drastically. I simply couldn't be more pleased. I really thank the one who posted this link.

Robin
            Mhm, 2.6.39.1 is slightly better for me as well. But I don't think I'm back at the level of 2.6.37.

Comment

Originally posted by not.sure View Post
              Mhm, 2.6.39.1 is slightly better for me as well. But I don't think I'm back at the level of 2.6.37.

One thing I have noticed with this kernel is the huge drop in wake ups from idle. It was in the 400 to 500 range on the 2.6.38 kernel and now it is in the 50-100 range. Temps are still low and my battery life is what it should be. I'm just grateful to be able to use my battery again. Lol

Comment

Measuring Power Usage tools

Hi Michael,

No one has mentioned this yet, but why not get a Tweet-A-Watt. This is where you take a bog-standard Kill-A-Watt meter and hack it to have a twitter interface. Actually, you hack it to have a wireless XBee interface, then you have a reader on your computer which gets the values.

Look at http://www.adafruit.com/category/32, they sell full kits you can use. I haven't had a major need for this myself, but it might be just what you want to use.

John

Comment

Working...
                X