Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Linux 3.0 Kernel Will... Reboot Better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 3.0 Kernel Will... Reboot Better?

Phoronix: The Linux 3.0 Kernel Will... Reboot Better?

Beyond file-system cleancache support, a Microsoft Kinect driver, Intel Ivy Bridge support, and various open-source graphics driver improvements, the Linux 3.0 kernel may also reboot your system better. Yes, really...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Linux needs to be rebooted?

News to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LLStarks View Post
      Linux needs to be rebooted?

News to me.
      Your aging, security-hole-ridden kernel and low-level user-space would probably appreciate it if you did a yum/apt-get upgrade and rebooted.

It's like those fools who brag about how their "not IIS" webserver hasn't been restarted in two years. 15 seconds at apache.org, php.net, etc. gives you a laundry list of remote holes to gleefully exploit, if you're the mischievous type.

Comment

Ksplice does all of that work without forcing a reboot.

Comment

The article, throughout being rather long and consiting mostly of quotes, doesn't cover the contents of mjg59's blog post to the slightest degree. Michael please try to understand the matter you are posting about, before writing the article.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynxeye View Post
            The article, throughout being rather long and consiting mostly of quotes, doesn't cover the contents of mjg59's blog post to the slightest degree.
            What? The article was fine.

Comment

I sometimes wish Michael would just syndicate these blog posts into his site rather than trying to rewrite them. Articles on phoronix should be thought out researched and infromative, not a link fest with the words "leveraged" and "etc." added.

Comment

it turns out that on most systems the ACPI reboot vector points at 0xcf9 in system IO space.
                first: what is a reboot vector? I know what reboot means, I know what vector means...but throwing those words together doesn't make any sense to me.

second why is it bad that it points @ 0xcf9? would be 0x1337 more appropriate?

and what's the big deal about poking the keyboard controller? If I want my PC to reboot I want it to reboot. It should not poke itself o_0

That's like saying your going to sleep and then, just before sleeping you masturbate. oh wait...

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  What? The article was fine.
                  So what does i.e.
                  Originally posted by Article
                  And, shockingly, it turns out that on most systems the ACPI reboot vector points at 0xcf9 in system IO space.
                  say to you?

Without the context given by the original blog post this are just words clung together. Random quotes from blogposts you dont understand don'tmake for a good article.

Comment

So... the default behavior is now to assume that you have broken hardware and treat it as such. Why not just feed the kernel a parameter that says "my hardware is a POS" to enable such moronic behavior?

Comment

Working...
                    X