How Ironic: AMD Pushes Open-Source Llano APU Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    they write an shader based video acceleration that's cool because the UVD1/2/3 can not handle WebM.
    Actually I prefer the idea of a shader based approach for those very reasons (+ the portability, since a shader based approach will work for nouveau too), I just needed something to rant about

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
      The next open sourcing will be in 28 days, 6 hours, 24 minutes and 12 seconds.

Qaridarium, do you believe in... time travel?
      No, the next open sourcing will be later today or tomorrow. But not from AMD.

Comment

You guys haven't seen Donnie Darko?

There are mindhacks for free will, though. Your subconcious self must decide to implement an abstraction, though. Anyone testing you will then be mindfucked, though; they expect you to fall into common behavior, but then debate on and on and one about what you are... (having experience)

One way to do it is buffer your entire behavior. When put into correct practise, you can then manipulate social situations, provided you are analysing everything in your surrounding.

PS: subconcious decision making has a ten second process time, so train yourself for fast response during analysing.
        Last edited by V!NCENT; 01 June 2011, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Anxiously waiting for linux llano benches, or even more, stability tests.

Comment

So was there supposed to be some big open source news piece that's not about AMD today? Or did i miss something?

Comment

Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
              So was there supposed to be some big open source news piece that's not about AMD today? Or did i miss something?
              Yes you're definitely missing something. Phoronix's track record of announcing things that will never materialize :P

Comment

I was hoping Michael was/is talking about PowerVR drivers... I don't see how Llano drivers can be that ironic even in that context, AMD's been good about such things lately.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad Page View Post
                  I was hoping Michael was/is talking about PowerVR drivers... I don't see how Llano drivers can be that ironic even in that context, AMD's been good about such things lately.
                  I think the reference to irony was just that (a) Qaridarium said there would be a release on Tuesday, (b) I said we didn't have anything planned, and (c) we happened to get consensus on exposing one of the things in the pipe (in this case new hardware support) on Tuesday and ended up releasing something anyways.
                  Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    I think the reference to irony was just that (a) Qaridarium said there would be a release on Tuesday, (b) I said we didn't have anything planned, and (c) we happened to get consensus on exposing one of the things in the pipe (in this case new hardware support) on Tuesday and ended up releasing something anyways.
                    Or maybe Qaridarium saying it, knowing you'd think about it, which resulting in mentioning it, making other people think about something the projectbleader said and finaly resulting in naking it happen... Casualty of nature

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                      i think the ironic part is that your team do not release the firmware as open-source yet. so yes you pull other stuff first thats fine really. maybe the open-source version of the firmware isn't ready yet. Bridgman you should work faster ;-) we really waiting for that cool Firmware stuff.
                      How is that ironic ? We have never discussed opening the microcode images and have no plans to do so. The microcode is part of the hardware design.

Some hardware products have microcode images built into the chips, others require microcode images to be loaded at power-up, and some (including a number of CPUs) use a combination of built-in initial code plus driver-loaded patches. None of it is open.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 01 June 2011, 05:54 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X