Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Ironic: AMD Pushes Open-Source Llano APU Support

Phoronix: How Ironic: AMD Pushes Open-Source Llano APU Support

Last week there was the news post about whether AMD is open-sourcing something next week (this week), which turns out to be based upon a Twitter comment I had made. A discussion about AMD possibly open-sourcing something had ensued, including comments by AMD's John Bridman, where he had said nothing was basically planned. Interestingly though, the initial open-source Llano APU support was just published...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You better listen when Qaridarium announces the Steam client for Linux.

Re: news: excellent work again! Being an AMD Fusion (E-350) user myself, I feel this is the future!

Comment

Qs psychic abilities never cease to amaze me :P If he could just get his James Bond over to the uvd stuff so that we can get the specs for that .

OK, feeling better for that.

Thanks anyhow to AMD for pushing, once again, some fresh code and specs to help the xorg developers along.
      Last edited by Welsh Dwarf; 31 May 2011, 04:39 PM. Reason: Fixing capitalisation

Comment

Neat, this sounds very promising.

Off topic: "Last week there was the news post about whether AMD is open-sourcing something next week (this week)" - Shouldn't it be "Last week there was the news post about whether AMD was open-sourcing something the week after"?

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          including comments by AMD's John Bridgman, where he had said nothing was basically planned.
          Yep. Nothing was planned at the time, and nothing was planned as late as lunchtime today, although as I said we always have a lot of things in the pipe. We received approval a couple of hours ago to release the Llano info, so we did.
          Test signature

Comment

Q, give me your dices please. Just one roll...

Comment

"Llano is AMD's new Fusion APU that is built on a 32nm process and is a quad-core chip targeted at laptops and desktops. All around, it should be a fantastic chip, especially for HTPCs and other low-power devices."
              Not really.

HTPCs need efficient video decoding which is unfortunately crippled in due to the requirement of catalyst.

It works...but it works badly (unless your htpc is windows based;there it works pretty well)

Comment

Llano will beat the crap out of its competitors, at least on Windows.

Performance in 3D applications sets a new landmark: http://en.ocworkbench.com/tech/compu...andy-bridge/2/
                Thanks to hybrid crossfire, Llano will still be ahead when you compare the systems after installing a low-end or midrange graphics card.

With open-source Linux drivers, the situation is different though. The Summer of Code project for shader based video decode acceleration is something that HTPCs can benefit from.

Comment

FYI the 3D stuff was committed an hour ago both for classic and gallium.

However, the gallium patch is smaller.

Edit: well, taking a quick look reveals that these are just the PCI IDs so I can't tell for sure that this enables 3D but I guess yes.
                  Last edited by HokTar; 31 May 2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

The next open sourcing will be in 28 days, 6 hours, 24 minutes and 12 seconds.

Qaridarium, do you believe in... time travel?
                    Last edited by V!NCENT; 01 June 2011, 05:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X