Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Key Features For Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric

Phoronix: The Key Features For Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric

Last week we reported on the key features coming to Ubuntu Server 11.10 that Canonical has put out as part of their features definition list. Now there's a similar list for the Ubuntu desktop edition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for posting that.

I'd be interested to know what adapting to the faster firefox release cycle actually means. Personally I'd very much like to see key applications (firefox, office) kept up to date constantly - maybe through the 'back-ports' repository. A lot of users end up adding PPAs or doing a lot of dangerous and tiresome mucking around to update these applications between ubuntu releases.

Comment

Yeah keeping stuff like firefox up to date is very important IMO. Especially now that firefox has faster releases.

I hope canonical is finally recognizing that forcing joe user to use ppa's to keep key apps like the web browser up to date is not ideal.

Comment

calendar?

Anybody know what we'll have as a default calendar app? I think the calendar and ability to have reminders is one of the cooler aspects of default Ubuntu desktop, compared to Windows. So it's important to have something there. I'm kinda glad evolution is gone because it didn't seem to be evolving (pun intended...), but Thunderbird might need a custom UI.

Edit: Okay, lazy me. All it took was to follow one more link. Apparently Mozilla Lightning. Never used that.
        Last edited by Pahanilmanlintu; 31 May 2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

I think we have a winner here, folks.

Comment

Don't care about Unity. As long as they don't muck with KDE it's all good.

Comment

Originally posted by Pahanilmanlintu View Post
              Anybody know what we'll have as a default calendar app? I think the calendar and ability to have reminders is one of the cooler aspects of default Ubuntu desktop, compared to Windows. So it's important to have something there. I'm kinda glad evolution is gone because it didn't seem to be evolving (pun intended...), but Thunderbird might need a custom UI.

Edit: Okay, lazy me. All it took was to follow one more link. Apparently Mozilla Lightning. Never used that.
              thunderbird + lightning plugin is perfect

Comment

Hmmm

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                haaaa! thats why i use kubuntu! ... perfect world there... they can shot ubuntu to the moon... i don't care about that ubuntu crap.
                Just maybe for a minute, think that if there was no Ubuntu, your precious Kubuntu would not exist either.

Comment

Working...
                X