Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
    Michael,

Is PTS still self compiling the tested software?
    If so, have you considered adding, whenever possible the built in version to the mix?

- Gilboa
    I guess that the vast majority of users are NOT going to compile their own software, but use the binaries provided within the distribution. Thus it makes much more sense to benchmarks those binaries, not your own compilations. Otherwise, these tests show the performance of the supplied kernel + glibc + gcc, not the full system.

Comment

Originally posted by eduperez View Post
      I guess that the vast majority of users are NOT going to compile their own software, but use the binaries provided within the distribution. Thus it makes much more sense to benchmarks those binaries, not your own compilations. Otherwise, these tests show the performance of the supplied kernel + glibc + gcc, not the full system.
      I fully agree.
      Hence the reason for my question
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Right, but blame AMD for not sending out CPUs to Phoronix...
        Why not use some of the billions in ad revenue you make from this website to purchase a few AMD processors?

I keed.

Comment

Originally posted by eduperez View Post
          I guess that the vast majority of users are NOT going to compile their own software, but use the binaries provided within the distribution.
          Gentoo users will.

Comment

I wonder if Fedora 15 (KDE) will still be faster than Kubuntu 11.04?

Comment

Default LVM partitions

One of the annoyances of Fedora, is the LVM-by-default install pattern that is used, which is great for desktops, and possibly basic servers, but generally sucks arse for laptops.

And LVM will always kill performance.

I am fairly sure removing LVM would even the disk performance numbers up to minimal differences.

Comment

Hmm. LVM vs non-LVM, as well encyprtion vs non-encryption would be really interesting benchmark. (remember to use some hardware with harware support for AES, like some newer core2 cpus).

Comment

Working...
                X